Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all- can anyone recommend a crate please? Ideally one that has a partition so will last from puppyhood till later in life. I'v herald good things about Ellie Bo, but would love to get the experts views!
Thanks
Gareth

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
I'm a cheapskate! I use two crates with my bitches, a 24 inch for the first 2 or 3 weeks by which time I have toilet training sorted then a 36 inch to last me until a year old, by which time I decrate. I use cheapy crates from EBay. They are so cheap buying 2 is no trouble. But even then, when they are no longer required I put them in the roof ready for the next pup. I think my present two crates have both done for 3 puppies, and the small one also used by my neighbour for her terrier! But thats the size I use for bitches. For a dog a 42 inch would be a better choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought all of our labs bedding from Lords and Labradors, EllieBo crate and expensive bed, bumper and cover made to fit the crate. Its a lot of money but I'm glad I did it. It is a cozy lovely den that he is happy to sleep in every night. Because of the expense I'd recommend getting the size you think your puppy will need full grown. When ours was still little I cut some vet bed to fill half and put a puppy pad down on the other half - it worked great. As soon as potty training was reliable I put in the fancy stuff. Everything washes in the machine just fine and I sleep better knowing that if he has to sleep in a crate at least its high quality, safe and comfy. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
After shopping around, I recently bought a 42" crate with divider and tray from ebay for £40 and it seems to be very good quality. Folds up and down easily and is very sturdy. Let me know if you want the details. The prices of crates in Pets at Home seemed pretty good too. I bought some vetbed from amazon. It was slightly too big for the crate so I cut it to size and was left with just the right amount for a car seat/cover thing I have, so that worked out really well. I haven't got the dog yet though so can't fully vouch for either.

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
Quite frankly, my first crate was over 30 years ago, a Rosewood, and quite frankly considering the value of money in those days the price was horrendous at £90. In those days it was that or nothing. But the cheap crate which I brought from EBay to replace it, (it went rusty!) although the wire is thinner gauge is plenty up to the job

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got my puppy in January and after reading loads of reviews settled on a Kong crate. I bought the large one even though it looked much too big for him at first. It has proved reliable and strong with doors at one end and along one side giving options for location. He is still using it overnight and when we have to leave him during the day. Pleased I got the large one as he’s now weighing in at 29kg. Like John says it’s a matter of preference and budget but I thought I would share my experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts