Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi we have been looking at crates on ebay and have noticed soom have plastic tray bottoms and others are metal trays, any advice before we purchase one please. thanks :?

·
Registered
303 Posts
We just bought a 42" crate for Jess. I picked one with a plastic tray - figured easier to clean? Also did borrow an "old" crate from a friend that had one with a metal tray and we found it used to flex under Jess' weight and as we have a babycom (AKA labracom) in the kitchen at night, she woke me up (not the OH!) every time she moved.

IMHO, a plastic one is better but someone else may suggest metal being best?! :?

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Plastic trays can crack and have very jagged edges when they do. Once a crack starts you tend to find the dog 'worries' at it. Metal ones are damn heavy... thats their drawback... and usually more expensive, but they don't crack break or tear....

Di

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Some dogs like to gnaw on the edges of the plastic ones, metal ones don't get chewed. Plastic ones are warmer, metal ones cooler....

There are pros and cons of both, I guess it's down to personal preference!
We've had both and only bought a second because she grew out of the first :lol:

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have to say we plumped for a metal tray in the end due to the fact that our old girl had an old plastic bed that she managed to chew the edges clean off of 8O I had visions of the great escape if the new pup managed to chew that much plastic off the tray :D

Heather

1 - 5 of 5 Posts