Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Elphie has recently started to pretend to do her business outside so that she gets a treat. She will go for real the first time, then get her treat, then scuttle back and pretend to go again, and run back get a treat, then maybe try it on for a third time. We cottoned on to this trick pretty quickly and so don't give her a treat if she is pretending to go. As you can imagine this proves a bit more difficult at nighttime, but hopefully she will wear thin of this exercise soon. I was just wondering if anyone else's pups have done this, and if so will it set them back. :? :?

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
LOL not daft are they :lol: :lol: , I never used treats when I house trained CJ but I would suggest weaning her off them so that she`ll go because she wants not because she gets a reward for it.

Just treat her now and again when she goes and of course not if she squats but does nothing, she`ll soon pick up that going doesn`t always mean a treat :D

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
mac does this occassinally - not for a treat but i think just to get me to shut up.

He cocks his leg as if to say "there, I have done it, ok?" :roll:

If the pup is pretty much toilet trained I would start phasing out the treats.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
my pup was too thick to think of trying that one on.

I'm impressed with the crafty little critter WTG! :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Dylan did exactly the same! Kept going out on pretend wee missions to get his treat :lol: I just cut right back on the treats and he gradually forgot about them to the extent he doesn't even look for one now when he does do a wee! Oh, and it never affected his house training so don't worry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
roxy my 3month old started doing the same a few weeks ago so i cut right back on the treats....they are little smarties!! I still treat her occasionally but i prase her more now rather than give her a treat...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts