Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wondered if anyone reads the Countrymans Weekly? Had a article I am rather proud of (they didn't edit a word so it actually flowed quite well for a change!) printed in the September 2nd edition.

if you happen to be interested or have a copy its on page 18 and is called 'The Future is Bright for the Chocolate Labrador' It talks generally about chocolates, chocolates working and showbred dogs in general in the field.

Anyway, just incase anyone had seen it - thats me, that is... (and some of the hounds in the pics they used) ;-)

Swagger brag boast etc - smile.

Di

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Great picture Di, good to see things seem to be turning for the Choccy lab, love your sig quote though :lol:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Crikey Di, I get it but had n't read it yet because I pick it up on a Saturday, which is always a busy day at this time of year.

I've just grabbed it from the pile of unread stuff, and indeed, there you are, large as life (that is a huge game bag BTW, your bum definitely does n't look big in that :wink: :wink: ), I shall go away and peruse.

Andrew

·
Registered
674 Posts
Great stuff Di. You are so lucky, I would love to get an article published. Well done you! :D Can I have your autograph? :wink:

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Wow Di!!

Fantastic - shall ahve to go off and get a copy!!!!!

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
Wow WTG Di!!!!! Brilliantly written article.

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Thanks for the link - I really enjoyed reading it. Despite being a 'pet-owning, newbie' to gundog training, and also not a die-hard, chocolate fanatic, I must admit to getting a slight kick out of taking my 'Little Chocolate Baby' (as she is called by my trainers!) to club-training, listening to the (jokey) initial comments about her being 'the wrong colour and wrong shape' to train, and then seeing her holding her own and occasionally a bit more against the black and yellows. Proper gundog people have approached me afterwards and asked if she's from a local kennel that breed and work their chocolate Labs and when told not, they want to know where she has come from. I like saying that she is mostly show-bred with a touch of working.

But you missed out one huge bonus about owning a chocolate, maybe-working-one-day-with-a-lot-of-luck-and-a-good-wind-behind-us Lab, Di. Peoples' expectations of what they can do is so low that you can always blame your dog's colour whenever they behave really badly and folk accept it as a plausible excuse! For that reason alone, I think they are the ideal choice for a newbie - pet-owner!

Becs

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Brilliant Di...sounds interesting will have to buy a copy me thinks! Well done :D

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Or just read it from the link above jacky... much easier ;-)

Becs - I've spent the last X number of years being able to use the old chestnut of 'well it IS all showbred/chocolate/special needs you know...' when we have a bad day ;-) The most frightening thing about the future and the way our gang has gone is that i'm not going to be able to say that pretty much anymore ;-)

Di

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Loved the article Diana. Read so well and made a LOT of sense indeed.

After getting Bert (chocie monster), who has so little drive and retrieving ability but is such a gorgeous, gorgeous boy, I was rather put off chocolates in the field. I am glad to say that I have had my eyes well and truely opened this last couple of years. Not least by your own wonderful dogs Di and how well they've done competitively.

Then there's my friend's two choccies down the road. Whilst the older one (8 years old) never had any formal training, she has all the style and ability of a good hunting dog and is very useful at a shoot. I believe she could've made an A1 competitive dog, much to my friend's regret! However, her new speedy pup whom she is training up properly will do her proud I'm sure, and the 'chocolate massive in general'. I think it's great that she has kept her allegiance with the chocolate labrador for her second working dog. Then there's Max a very hard hunting chocolate dog who joins us on our Shoot every year. There's nothing wrong with his nose, drive and stamina I can tell you and I know his owner would jump at the chance of another choccie when the time comes.

Inaddition there are other chocolates on LF, such as Funkymonkey's Alfie and Bec's mouse, to name just a few.

So yes, I do believe you are right, the future is indeed bright for chocolates, at long last! But without sounding like a complete brown noser (or should that be chocolate noser! :roll: ), thanks should go to breeders/trainers like you who are doing all they can to raise the profile of chocolates; address many misconceptions; and are 'out there' proving that when it comes to working ability chocolates are not bottom of the pack.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I do rather think you can write and write, preach and pontificate, but it all means nothing if you don't get out there and at least TRY and put your money where your mouth is in these things.

And as my mouth is bigger than most, the effort put in, practically, needs to match it ;-)

Di

1 - 20 of 30 Posts