Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bruce does the sits and lies down on command no problems but he comes back to me before doing it . Yesterday on a walk he was a little way ahead of me and we came across a load of broken glass bottles so I told him to sit thinking I could then go to him and lead him out of the way of it but no he came running back to me and sat in front of me . How do I teach him to sit or lie down where he is ?

Claire x

?

·
0 Posts
Ok, some questions first.

When you tell him to Sit, Down, etc, do you instantly give a reward and let him get up to take it, or do you give a release command, allowing him to move and then reward him. Do you reward him with food? Do you reward him EVERY time, or do you play the Reward Lottery (sometimes they get nothing, other times they hit the jackpot)?

Does he know WAIT, as in he stops instantly and doesn't move until you say the release word?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Usually if I shout 'stay' Chewy will stop and then if I don't call her back or approach her she will usually just sit down of her own accord....

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When he sits I give him a treat then I tell him walk on to release him . Sometimes he does try to get straight back up but a quick ah ah and he sits back down again . I reward him with food most times but not every time . The treats I take out are a mixture of just low value kibble and high value sausage /chicken etc .
With wait he knows it again when he's by my side so he waits until I tell him for things like if I put food down in front of him . We practice wait when out for things like I throw a toy for him and tell him to wait until I release it to go and get it and he will wait while out walking when I sit him in a spot tell him to wait then I walk ahead mainly while I'm checking round corners and things for other people and dogs what I might need to put him on a lead for .
If he's off lead and not by my side ant command I shout he will run to me first before doing

Claire x

·
Registered
124 Posts
There are a couple of ways to teach a dog to sit right away. I'm simply relaying what I've read, so take it with a grain of salt, but it's simply some advice on how to tell a dog what you'd want him to do.

One way is to call Bruce and make him stop in front of you. When he does that successfully, tell him to stop but also take a step back and praise him for stopping, if successful. Then gradually increase the distance. It also helps to have a treat in your hand and raise it really high when you're doing that the first few times because the dog will tend to look up for the treat and naturally sit down. That way you'll get Bruce to do a sit a couple of meters in front of you and you can work from there to increase the distance.

Another way is to make Bruce walk by your side. Stop walking and tell him to "sit" and praise and treat if successful. Do that a couple of times till he knows that he should stop whenever you stop, but keep saying "sit". When he's successful, say stop while you're kind of faltering and Bruce should still sit. Build on that until you're walking casually and he stops and then increase the challenge by taking a left or right turn right after you're saying "sit".

A third way is to use his food. When it's dinner time, call him and have the bowl in your hand. Tell him to sit and give him the food when he sits patiently. Slowly build on that so he will sit even if the bowl is down. Then very gradually move away from the bowl, maybe to the left or the right so you're not between Bruce and his bowl of food. After some practice, you should eventually get to the point where you're casting him away to get the food and he will do a sit when you call him (it really helps to have somebody around the bowl for the first few times).

Of course, you can use all the methods above.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks but just a couple of questions . He will already sop and then wait while I step away from him but how do you get from that to him stopping and sitting while he's a distance away from me . Is it that I should eventually be able to raise my hand with the treat in it while he is a few metres away from me and he will learn to stop and sit as soon as he sees that rather than waiting until he is right up to me .
When he's walking by my side to heel he does now automatically sit when I stop without me giving the command sit and if I slow down he does too. If I change direction while he is sitting he will wait until I release him . Is this right ?
When he sees me get his food bowl he goes and sits at the place he knows I put it down and he stays sitting while I put it on the floor . I can go into another room and then go back and he will remain sitting until I release him . Is that right sorry I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the last sentence about casting him away to get the food . I'm sure it's just me being a bit thick :D

Claire x

·
Registered
124 Posts
halle07 said:
Thanks but just a couple of questions . He will already sop and then wait while I step away from him but how do you get from that to him stopping and sitting while he's a distance away from me . Is it that I should eventually be able to raise my hand with the treat in it while he is a few metres away from me and he will learn to stop and sit as soon as he sees that rather than waiting until he is right up to me .
First, I am not a trainer and I don't have a lot of experience so I'm telling you what worked for me.

That being said, you should try to put the treat a bit in front of you, so when he'll sit for the treat he'll be a bit further away. It's all a matter of increasing the distance gradually because for him "sit" means "sit next to me" so first it has to be "sit" means "sit quite close to me" and then it will mean "sit not so close to me" and then just "sit".

halle07 said:
When he's walking by my side to heel he does now automatically sit when I stop without me giving the command sit and if I slow down he does too. If I change direction while he is sitting he will wait until I release him . Is this right ?
Of course it's right, but that seems more like "heel" instead of "sit" :)

The idea is to use the word "sit" when he's supposed to sit. If you keep using the word "sit" when he's about to sit, you'll create a habit for the dog to sit when he's hearing that word.

Just say "sit" when you're stopping then try slowing down almost to a halt and say "sit" and when the dogs sits speed up. Then slow down a little less and so on till he sits all the time. If you build on it gradually, you'll be able to make him sit even when you're walking really fast or running, but you need to do it in really small increments.

halle07 said:
When he sees me get his food bowl he goes and sits at the place he knows I put it down and he stays sitting while I put it on the floor . I can go into another room and then go back and he will remain sitting until I release him . Is that right sorry I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the last sentence about casting him away to get the food . I'm sure it's just me being a bit thick :D
Oh, it's just me showing off my newly found gundog vocabulary :) It means "when you use the release command". The idea is to let him run to the bowl and make him stop. The simplest way is to have somebody else near the bowl and when the dog is about to get to the bowl that person will step between Bruce and the bowl, giving you the chance to say "sit" when the dog will sit.

The dog won't get it in the first few tries, but with patience he'll figure it out, just be sure to say the command only once and praise him when he's getting it right.

?

·
0 Posts
When he sits I give him a treat then I tell him walk on to release him
Ok, try not giving him the treat until after you've released him. At the moment he probably thinks he has to sit right next to you, else he won't get the treat. Try getting him to sit when you're walking along with him (so next to you), then taking a step or two away, returning and then releasing him to praise/reward him. He needs to learn he can sit some distance from you and he'll still get the reward.

We practice wait when out for things like I throw a toy for him and tell him to wait until I release it to go and get it and he will wait while out walking when I sit him in a spot tell him to wait then I walk ahead mainly while I'm checking round corners and things for other people and dogs what I might need to put him on a lead for .
That's good. Just make sure you always release him rather than have him wander up to you when he feels like it though. If he gets up before you've released him, put him back, ask him to wait again, then release him. He needs to realise he mustn't move until you've released him and he has to wait even if you walk off without him.

If he's off lead and not by my side ant command I shout he will run to me first before doing
Ok, so his recall is ok, but you might not want him running to you (as in the case of the broken glass), so when he is at a short distance away, tell him to WAIT or SIT and then if he comes to you first, take him back out to the spot you gave the command, tell him again and then walk back to where you were, then either return to him to release him, or release him from there. You'll probably have to build up the distances slowly to start off with, starting with him only being a couple of feet away, else you'll be. asking too much of him and he'll get confused.

That's how I teach commands from a distance anyway, which is probably not very Gundoggy, but it seems to work for me. 8)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Jules that makes a lot of sense . His recall was shocking today as well so we've got lots of work to do with him . He likes to keep me on my toes :roll:

Claire x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts