• No, they never eat dog poo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rarely a week goes by without me hearing of someone with a Lab who eats Poo, and by Poo I mean Dog poo (their own or other dogs) not rabbit/sheep/horse/etc, and this got me wondering just how much of a problem this is in Labradors as a whole.

If it is a common problem, then maybe this is something we should be warning people about before they consider owning a Lab, just as we warn them about the need for health tests and to not over exercise puppies. After all many people wanting a Lab have young children to consider or simply find this habit utterly disgusting (myself included here).

Anyway, I thought the only way to find out how common it was, is to run a Poll. So there you have it 8)

Edited to add, I also asked around on FB and this is what I wrote there after many replies....

So looking at the occurrences of it here and on LF, I'd say less than half seem to do it, but more than 1/3. That's a LOT more than I originally thought and I'm actually quite shocked.

I don't doubt there are many reasons they do it; hunger, hereditary trait, wrong food, etc, etc, but I can't help but wonder if any other breed has such high incidents of this habit and I do think it should be more widely known that Coprophagia is extremely common in Labs. At least if people choosing a breed know what they "may" be letting themselves in for, the chances of the dog being dumped in rescue (or heaven forbid, PTS) are reduced.

It is well known that Labs can be chewers, greedy, clumsy, can have health problems, etc, etc, but yet I've never once seen anything saying that Coprophagia is rife in the breed. I'm sure many people would have loved to have known that before deciding on getting a Lab, especially if they have young children, an immunity problem, or even just a weak stomach.

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have added, neither Mojo nor Pickle have ever had a nibble of the Brown Stuff, but we have to keep our eye on Una, as she will do occasionally.

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
No dog poo eaters here either. In fact I can almost see them turn up their noses if they come across dog poo whilst out sniffing!! But both can be a bit partial to cow, chicken or rabbit poo!!

However, when Ruby was about 2 we were out walking with a friend and her spaniel. We saw the dogs ahead appearing to be eaten something on the ground and they wouldn't come to us when we called them off. Worried what they might be devouring something yucky we ran to see. Yucky it was!! They were making their way through a nice pile of human poo :oops:

Chloe

·
Registered
674 Posts
We have a nightmare with Chewy, she loves all poo, hers and other dogs especially and horses and cats. It is the only thing that makes me hate her a little bit because I find it so repulsive. We have tried everything and in light of herr tummy issues (which I am convinced she got from eating poo) we are now considering getting her a soft muzzel. :(

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Cooper used to do it when he was younger, but that stopped suddenly - can't remember when or why, but I remember not having to tell him off anymore. Now he will sniff thoroughly and move on.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thor doesn't eat dog poop he may sniff it occasionally , however duck poo is a delicacy it would seem :?

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Over the years in maybe 30 Labs, I've probably had about as many that enjoy eating others poo as NOT eat it. So about half and half. They rarely eat their own because 'someone elses is always better, warmer and avaliable' but I don't doubt if I had any of the poo eaters I have as a single dog they would eat their own if there were nothing else, because they are greedy little gits, basically... nothing more complicated than that. Free food = fantastic to them!

Di

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if I had any of the poo eaters I have as a single dog they would eat their own if there were nothing else, because they are greedy little gits, basically... nothing more complicated than that. Free food = fantastic to them!
I don't doubt that's the case with many. Labs do seem to be an especially "hungry" breed. Why that is, is beyond me, but obviously if they are hungry and there's "Free Food" lying around then not many are going to pass up the opportunity to snaffle it. It just seems that some are more drawn to dog poo than others.

Knowing that a good few do it (as many as half going by your experience, Di), with many of those doing it all their lives, do you feel it's something which new people to the breed should be made aware of though?

I was just thinking, when my children were little, had I known a particular breed was prone to eating poo, I'd definitely have avoided that breed, regardless of how perfect I felt they were in every other way. I'm not a Germophobe by a long chalk, but I do find the sight of one dog eating anothers or their own poo utterly disgusting, and I was mortified when my Lurcher started doing it. Thankfully a change of diet and an added supplement stopped her, but I know some people try EVERYTHING and their dogs still munch poo daily. Of course now my children are grown up, if one of my dogs did it, it wouldn't be such an issue, even if it did disgust me and sully my relationship with that dog a little.

I know many breeds do do this, and it certainly isn't just a Labrador problem, but not so many breeds are often promoted as being Perfect Family Pets, Great with Children, etc, etc.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
We have a family dog who is an eater, although not a lab it was important to me that I set out to teach Minnie not to eat poo.

The leave command was the most important to me.

I have no idea if she would have been inclined, I didn't wait and then teach her not too. She was interested in horse poo but now will walk past it and then come to me for a reward for walking past and not eating.

I have talked to a lot of other owners who have the issue, labs and others.

Mandy

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
None of mine do, I think Tau had a nibble as a youngster, but very soon grew out of it, and it tended to be a stinky huge disgusting poop probably full of half digested stuff. Rhuna's sister is a confirmed poo eater, even though she's fed exactly the same as the rest of them, all on half raw, half kibble.

Grouse, rabbit and every other poop is a must though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Buddy waits for the cat to come in and then charges straight out - I guess it smells the same as the cat food she eats and he fancies a bit of it - I can't change the cat food as the poor thing is 20 years old and cant chew as very few teeth!! tried pineapple and other stuff but yes - greedy git just scoffs the lost - I expect it will end when she moves on to the after life :(

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Roxy is terrible for it. She is the queen of poo eating and im ashamed to say it. She eats her own if Im not out there quick enough to pick it up and she will also eat Ripleys. Because im hot footing it out into the garden to pick the mess up, she now stands behind Ripley as he is pooing, and I have to run out clapping my hands to stop her. Ripley has never eaten his poo or other dogs, but he does love a good munch on sheep and horse poo! Whenever Roxy has found any ( as im sure she finds the most awkward place to poo so I can't get to it) Ripley will stand watching her, looking disgusted.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have never had personal experience of a lab eating dog poo, but I recently met someone who (said he) tried everything to stop his dog from eating her own poo and, when he failed, had her put down. This, in my view, is entirely unacceptable but if it does happen (ie owners at the end of their tethers putting their labs down), then it may be worth warning would-be owners of the risk their dog might poo-eat. But how practical is this? There are so many other benefits of the breed. Better to encourage training techniques to prevent or wean them off the habit - and, in the meantime a muzzle on walks etc?

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I recently met someone who (said he) tried everything to stop his dog from eating her own poo and, when he failed, had her put down.
8O 8O 8O

I had never even thought about it from that angle. How sad :( .

I do know someone who got rid of their Beagles because they did it, and I thought that was extreme enough.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Tatze has never eaten dog poo, but she relishes horse poo as if it's a delicious ham sandwich!

I have worked hard on the 'leave' command and she now looks for a treat when she sees horse poo, so I can guide her past it. So, as long as I'm not day dreaming we do OK.

:)

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Three other dog poo eaters here :( .

I'm not sure if it was a learned behaviour for Mischa, as she did not eat dog poo until Bruno joined us, she was over 2 years old by then and seemed to start almost over night when she noticed Bruno snacking on a dog walk, since then it is a rush between the pair of them to find the tastiest when we arrive on off lead dog walks 8O, Snoozy Suzie is not quite as bad she does listen so I can distract her sometimes,
[must add though, on occasion she has been known to bring a lump of poo indoors and put it down in front of her bed then lay and just look at it, the first time it was a frozen one, then another time it was just a nice solid specimin that seemed to take her fancy :? ]

I am certain Bruno's reasons for his bad habit was survival taking into account his past life as a stud in a not very nice kennels.

My way of dealing with it and not get stressed is to think of it as food that has been recycled :wink: , sadly a lot of my dog walk friends find it so gross they have trouble keeping their lunch down :lol: .

June

·
Registered
921 Posts
Thankfully neither of mine are dog poo eaters. Having said that cow, sheep, horse and especially rabbit poo are fair game.

Polly often follows my bunnies around the kitchen hoovering up after them. I'm sure she thinks they are her own personal treat dispensers! :roll: :roll:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts