Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my chocolate lab, Angus, is just over 12 weeks old now & recently had his sercond visit to the vets. We went to the same practice as for the first visit but saw a different vet & am a little confused as she gave me different advice about Angus's diet than the man we saw 2 weeks ago.

Angus weighed in at 11.6kg at 12 weeks & she thought he was getting a little fat & may be growing too quickly. She said I should monitor closely the amount of food I give him and consider putting him on a puppy food specially for large dogs.

The man we saw 2 weeks ago said not to worry too much about quantities until he was 6 months old & that I could give him more than the recommended daily amount if he was finishing everything I had given him. He did say that adult dogs should not be fed more than the recommended daily amount but that it mattered less with puppies & as long as they were happy & healthy they were fine. (Angus weighed 9kg at 10 weeks when this vet saw him).

I'm a little confused now - obviously I want to do what's best for Angus but don't want to swap his food if not necessary (he's currently on Baker's complete dried puppy food) & the extra food is so good for treats in training sessions.

Please let me know what advice you received about feeding your pup.

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
One of the things linked to the development of HD is rapid growth and being overweight, and pups kept on the light side showed reduced risk, so it is very important. However, the difficulty is judging it. What is an ideal weight for one pup at 12 weeks will be different for another the same age. Personally, I prefer to use the 'finger test'. If you run your hand down your dogs side, you should be able to feel the ribs easily without seeing them. You should be able to see a definable waist, and if your dogs turns to one side, you should then be able to see the ribs - hope this makes sense.
If he needs to lose weight cut back, if he is a little on the light side, increase, and don't forget to include the treats as well when making your daily calculations. I'm not a big fan of the large breed puppy foods. They are usually high in protein and I think they can cause the rapid growth.
The other thing I would say is that the amount recommended on the side of the packets is usually too much by at least a third. The only food I have found comes anywhere near recommending the right amount is Burns. It also tends to keep them on the lean side. Baker's is not one I'd chose, because of the added colouring, salt and sugar, however, if he is doing well on it there is no need to change, just cut back the amount you are feeding.
HTH :)

G

·
Hi Laurie

As it happens I found an old calender the other day with my puppy's weight written onto it.
Just as a guide my chocolate lab was 7.2kilos at 12 weeks, 9kilos - 14wks, 10 kilos - 15 wks, 11kilos - 16 weeks, 12 kilos - 17 weeks, 14kilos - 18 weeks, 14kilos - 19 weeks, 14kilos - 20 weeks, 15kilos -21 weeks, 17kilos - 22 weeks, 17kilos - 23 weeks, 18kilos - 24 weeks, 20kilos - 25 weeks, 22kilos - 27 weeks, 23kilos - 28 weeks, 23 kilos - 29 weeks, 25kilos - 30 weeks, 25kilos - 31 weeks, 27kilos - 32 weeks.
Ollie grew up to be a big sized labrador, not the biggest but still a fair size.

Angus does seem to be a bit tubbier than mine at the same age but all pups are going to different. If the food suits your Angus don't be too quick to change it lots of vets make massive amounts on the foods they recommend and sell at veterinary clinics.
Maybe cut down his portions slightly for a while and weigh him regularly or photograph him regualarly to check his size growth.
If you look at the nutritional values on the puppy foods some are more fattening than others depending on their ingrediants but beta was one of the best ones I found for labs prone to putting on a few extra pounds. Obviously Angus is still a puppy but as an adult dog I found that I could give Ollie a bigger portion of Beta light than I could of Bakers light, and pedigree chum dried food was actually quite fattening compared to all the others.

Michaela

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi laurie

I can understand your confusion at being given conflicting advice regarding Angus's diet. Opinions do vary as to whether a pup should be kept lean or whether a little plumpness is acceptable. I have not seen anything conclusive either way, only opinions

Personally as long as my dog has a healthy appetite, not ravenous or listless about eating.. as long as his stools arent loose and he isnt looking either obviously fat or too thin I dont mess around with his diet too much

Listen to all the advice offered .. but listen to Angus as well :wink:

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks v much for all the advice - am now going to go & examine Angus's ribs! I'll start weighing him & photographing him more regularly too, to try & keep track of his weight & growth.

Many thanks again for your help

·
Registered
498 Posts
Feeding and weight is something that plays on my mind a lot. After reading a bit about it on here, I'm thinking that Brady could be a bit heavy for his age (17 kilos at 16 weeks old) We can still feel and see his ribs (in some positions :) )

Our breeder fed Brady on Iams large breed puppy food, and our vet also advised that this was a good food for puppies. (he doesn't sell us the food so there was nothing in it for him) So that's what we've fed him since, and he gets three meals a day totalling about 500g. I thought that large breed puppy food was supposed to aid the development of bones in breeds like labs :?

I think the more I read the more confused I get, and not sure if I'm worrying unduly. I really want the best for Brady, and would hate him to develop problems due to rapid growth etc.

Should I seek further advice, put him to puppy Fit Club (just been watching Celeb Fit Club!) - or am I fretting over nothing?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Max is the opposite of most puppies as he weighs 12 kilos and is 18.5 weeks. He eats Royal canin vet early care puppy food for large breeds. He only gets 325g a day, which sounds like a lot less than the recommended daily allowance for other foods. I have always worried that he is a bit too lean as lab puppies are traditionally overweight bundles of joy. Max is still a bouncing pup and has always been happy in himself and more than content with the amount of food he gets.

Our vet has reassured me that although he had a bit of a set back in his early weeks (nasty stomach bug at 8- 11 weeks) it is much better for his long term development that he grows at a slower more gradual rate. Also with the high susceptibility to HD etc in labs it is much better for them to be 'slightly' leaner than too heavy.

Personally I think every lab's different, and its up to owners to be sensible. Puppies are like babies, they are all different and have different patterns, habits and eating preferences etc... its up to mums and dads to do their best... as long as you're happy that your doing all you can, then try not to worry too much... :lol:

Personally i'm glad max is lighter cos at least i can still pick him up like a baby and grab him when he's about to land in trouble :wink:

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Corbie weighs 13kg at 14.5 weeks (I think - difficult to read my scales whilst carrying him, could really do with a digital set!). He doesn't look overweight and can feel his ribs when i do the 'rib test'. He is also growing slowly - between 7 and 12 weeks he grew faster but I've read that they do grow quickly at this time and then the growth rate slows down again.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Molly is about 15k at 19 weeks,
we feed her Burns, and she gets about 80g 3times a day,
The Burns advice is to feed less than you would normally as it is designed for puppies, and is high in protein etc etc.
The vets seems happy with her weight, and she looks fine!.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts