Labradors Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Very close to where I live (2min walk) is a large grass park. Also a bowling green club. Just outsude the club in the park grounds is a decent sized compound with red stones secured with a fence and from what I know it's only used on a year for French pétanque bowls.

I literally walk by it everyday but this morning around 7am I got talking to an older gent about my training lead and he said a good place to let him free would be that compound and he has seen a number of folk in it with dogs

I have never seen anybody in it apart from people playing pétanque in the summer. I' would have said though that the grounds were out of bounce for the reason that it belongs to the bowling green (I think, but could be the community parks) and that it has pétanque bowls signs. I have thought about using it before but this morning I thought meh bigger it and turns out both thr front gates and side gate was open.

So, we went in and I let him free off the lead with confidence. I gave him a moment to assess the environment and then he spotted a wee doggie but unfortunately for him was on the other side of the fence. He went over to have a look nut never touched the fence. So, I continued and done a few recalls, one which he was running in the opposite direction to me and came. From there I called it home-time.

My questions are:

- Do you think this area would be advantageous and worthwhile to us for training?? I guess it's like a back garden in a more distracting environment but has anyone used similar before.

- For the more experienced than myself; what kind of games and training drills can we do inside the area to maximise its potential for training?? And how do we do them?? (Recall and sitting at distance are my initial ideas)

pic;

Cheers!!

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Well if it is a nicely fenced off safe area then that would be grand for training. But, I'd check it was ok to train in there, and I'd certainly be taking any mess away with me :wink:

Recall, sitting yes sound fine. If you were think about retrieving too, those fences look handy for running in straight lines, and corners too for preventing dogs disappearing over the horizon.

Dunno how the stones would affect the dogs tho, I'd sooner have them on grass?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts