Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

When we're out and about on our walks with young Bradley, if we let him of his lead, he won't run of until we tell him 'go play'.

When we are on the beach, while it's great for him to go in the sea, sometimes it isn't always pratical i.e. we don't want a 'wet dog' and are on our way somewhere 8) Apart from having a nice flexi lead for him to run around on the beach, or avoid taking him there in the first place, we are finding it impossible to let him off his lead and stop him from going in the sea. He loves the sea so much, and gets far too excited.

Just wondered, is there anyway we can train him not to go in the sea, but still let him of his lead to go and play.

Anyway of saying in doggy language, 'go play - but don't go in the sea' :D

We probably should have instigated this at a younger age perhaps, but would appreciate your tips on avoiding the sandy wet dog if not always practical, yet still giving him his freedom to run around on the beach.

Thanks everyone,

Julie & Sea Loving Bradley :D

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi Julie,i use the 'go play' with dylan as well, but the sea isn't my problem it's the 2 filthy ponds on the field so if anyone has an answer to your question i will certainly be trying it with the pond, as screaming dylan nooooo does not work.Take care,Lynne.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi, Poppy is fine now, but she is nearly 7 yrs old! We live by the sea and also there are lots of smelly stagnant ponds around and I had the same problem. I eventually 'solved' it by concentrating on getting a really good recall, I found the whistle best. I tried to use it before she actually started to leg it towards the water and as she got back to me I said 'not today' and gave her lots of praise and treats. It is much harder to stop them when they are in full flight, tho nowadays Poppy does return 99% of the time. If she does go in the water I put it down to my mistake for not being aware soon enough and never reprimand her. When I see water and don't want her to go in I just say 'not today' and she leaves it

Rosie

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Rosie,

Thanks for the tips, as labs are so intelligent, i'm sure it wouldn't take long to teach Bradley the 'not today' command as you have advised. Using a whistle sounds like a good idea, i think we will definately try this. It's such a shame to keep him on his lead when there is a lovely beach, but we don't want him going in the sea at that particular time.

I'll give it a go tomorrow..i'm sure we will have to take a towel with us just incase :)

Thanks again Rosie, hope this works for you too Lynne, it just makes life that little bit easier doesn't it.

All the best to you both.

Julie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts