Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rosie has been with us for over a year now and still we have not been able to find her a decent dog collar.

Our friends rescued her and the day she came to be homed with us they bought her a smart new red nylon collar. She was ten months then, but the collar didn't last very long. For a start, it got filthy quite quickly and didn't wash well, and also as Rosie finished growing and became the strong little madam she is today there just wasn't enough 'grab width'!

So for her first Christmas, we split buying the presents, and Hubby bought the collar. I thought he'd get a decent leather collar, but no, he goes all soft and silly in the head and buys her a red diamonte studded collar - which wasn't leather and split.

So I went and bought her a leather collar. It was purply, girly, but strong. Trouble was that she was between sizes and there was a bit too much surplus, hence she ended up with this rolled up bit that got in her way and irritated her.

So this week I went out again. Everything in Pets At Home is just nylon with cheap clasps that will break, she's still in between sizes so I don't want another leather one - what I need is a good, thick, strong, adjustable collar, in a medium size. Preferably something that will stand up to getting wet and the occasional run through the washing machine.

Oh and - just to complicate matters, hubby has decided he likes her in a bright red collar... :roll:

Any help/advice on where I can buy a Rosie-resistant strong red collar that will last a while would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DOH!

Sorry modz. I meant to post this in the collar forum...

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hi Jane,

I would thoroughly recommend Red Dingo collars and leads.

They do have the plastic clasps but in all the thousands we have sold I think we have had problems with only 5 or 6.

They also come in lovely bright shades and pretty patterns.

Have a look at our website. www.PadfootPets.com

LF members also get 10% off every order by putting code LAB1 in the gift voucher box at the checkout.

Happy shopping.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Dublin Collar all the way for my two. They are great for putting on when you take them out, which is probably when they will get most dirty. They just wash under the tap when you get home and they stay as good as new. They are a bit bulky to wear all the time though and a Red Dingo one is nice for wearing at home.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey Jane, good to see you back on the forum.

Hudson's a strong boy too and I've made the mistake of always buying him leather collars. A mistake because we go through them like nobody's business - they stretch big time! Would recommend a material one just until she settles down and is easier to handle.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Red Dingo all the way!

Paddy has a bright orange one that washes and washes - he loves to roll in fox poo :roll: It looks great against his black fur.

Sadie has imperial purple :roll: just right for a bossy boots :lol:

Patrick

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Ruth; settles down? When's she going to do that then :lol: I think you're right the leather one did stretch; and since there was surplus already..

I think I'll try a Dublin Dog for wet walks and a Red Dingo for in the house. My main concern about the Red Dingo was whether it would be a)wide enough to grab! and b) strong enough that the clasp doesn't break off.

Seems like everyone uses them here without any problems though - the ones at Pets at Home were silly fashion things that just aren't either durable or practical.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I use both Red Dingo and Dublin - brought from Lesley on here and the dingo is both, strong, durable (mine are always going through the wash) and are big enough to grab hold of !!

Have fun picking one though as theres choice a plenty !!! :D

·
Registered
503 Posts
Tinkerbella said:
My main concern about the Red Dingo was whether it would be a)wide enough to grab! and b) strong enough that the clasp doesn't break off.
I have the 1 inch wide for both of them. Very adjustable and extremely grab-able. The "bucklebone" seems to be very strong with no signs of giving way.

Patrick

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Red dingo all the way here, Mole has had them since she was a tiny pup, they are adjustable and the clasp is strong, they wash really well too, and I would say yes, there is enough of them to grab hold of if you need to :D
Personally I'm not keen on the Dublins, I might have been unlucky but I've had 2, one Mole ripped off Megs neck and chewed and the other one the loop that you put the extra end through split so had to use an elastic band. x

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, you've convinced me :lol: :lol: :lol: Red-Dingo it is. I'll put the Dublin Dog one on the christmas list, she's got a collar that's got a bit of life left in it for wet walks that will do her a couple of months.

I'll pop over now and order the Red-Dingo and I'll let you know how I get on with it.

(I must admit I'm thinking how lovely the Orange one is... but Hubby is stuck on red.)

Thank You everyone for your help; I seriously don't know what I'd do without this place sometimes!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Tinkerbella said:
Hi Ruth; settles down? When's she going to do that then :lol: I think you're right the leather one did stretch; and since there was surplus already..
Not sure, just wishful thinking on my part! :D

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I like rogz collars. Wide enough to grab, don't seem to stretch, and wash extremely well. Bracken's only ever had 1 rogz collar (she's 16 months now) and it's gone the distance.

I have a dublin collar, but I'd never attach at lead to it - I think with even the slightest strain on it that it would stretch and possibly snap. I use it when I need her to have ID on, but would always use a slip-lead rather than clip-on lead.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Can't beat Lupine collars. :) All fully adjustable, really nice patterns, very strong and hard wearing and guaranteed for life.

I have two that are now about 5yrs old, one used on my Colliex who loves the water and the other used, first on my Weim and now for the Pointer. They've been washed countless times and are still as good as new.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I'd agree with Mo and say Rogz. Indy has an "RAF" collar, we like it because the clasp fastens through the D-ring, making it more secure. She wore it for dips in the sea for around six months and it's still got loads of life left in it. We've bought a couple of cheaper collars for ID only as we've now moved to a slip lead, but if I did go back to flat collar and lead, I'd put the Rogz back onto her. You can get them from [email protected] :)

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone I just ordered the Red-Dingo collar and ID tag. When it comes I'll let you know how I get on with it, but it already looks very smart and I must admit, I do love the tags.

Just one thing tho; I put the LAB1 in the box but the discount didn't come off. Does it come off afterwards?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
I have used both Rogz and Red Dingo, and although I have never had a problem with either the Rogz seem stronger to me, and they would be my preference.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Red dingop in here, Alfie wears the plain orange one and its minging right now but i know it will wash great. Can;t wait to order another one but because i can;t choose another colour other than ornage haubby said no...lol

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I have a Dublin Dog collar for my collie as he loves to roll but I've read that they can stretch so I think they're not necessarily great if you have a dog that pulls. He walks nicely but he wears a harness anyway.

I saw a collar I was thinking of getting for Mins which looks nice and strong:
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_collars_dog_leads/flexi_dogs/single_color/131279

Didn't necessarily want something with Hunter on it but it looks like a great collar. Though I've heard less than great things about ordering from Zooplus so if anyone sees the red one anywhere else in the UK, let me know :)

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
http://www.ezydoguk.co.uk

This is where I got Rosie's waterproof collar from and I have to say I am quite pleased with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts