Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jenson attended his first dog obedience class yesterday and the instructor told my girlfriends little boy that the collar that Jenson was wearing was no good and that he needs to have one of the one's that has a small piece of chain in it so it chokes the dog if its pulled when he doesn't behave.
Apparently the collar that he has at the moment also choke's him (soft nylon collar)
I want allowed in the puppy class as parents are too much of a distraction for the pups.
So I don't know exactly what was said.

What are peoples opinions on this types of collar and on other types of collars.

Someone at work uses one that goes around the head/neck and he also mentioned a harness that goes on the chest

At the end of the day Jenson is only 11 weeks old and I don't want to injure or hurt his neck or spine ,I personally would prefer not to use a choke type chain.

Jason.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jason,

I don't agree with what your instructor said. Personally i like to use a leather or fabric one on Rufus as the thought of a chain choking him worries me.

I go to a puppy class and our instructor said that as long as our pups are wearing a collar with an ID tag it doesn't matter what type it is.

Cheers

Rach

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sounds as though the instructor was suggesting a half choke chain rather than a full choke chain (which aren't allowed at our training class), but even so I'm surprised that they suggested a half choke for an 11 week old puppy. Personally I wouldn't use one on such a small pup (I don't even use one on a big pup!) and I don't blame you for being wary. Could you phone up the instructor and have a chat to try and clarify what they meant and voice your concerns? At the end of the day if you're not happy maybe it would be best to look for another training class.
Clare

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

I total disagree with your instuctor. You should not need to use a choke chain/collar at all. :( There are far better options out there like a halty or body harness. My instuctor will not let anyone in that uses a choke chain/collar. But 11 weeks is far to young to use a choke collar, they have very soft wind pipes and are easily damaged. The last thing you want is a colaped wind pipe and breathing problems! I use a normal leather dog collar, but when ben was little we used a soft nylon puppy collar as they are light weight and are cheap to replace when they grow out of them. :) There concentration span at 11 week is not very long anyway so they are easily distracted Training will take time and patience.

Goodluck
Cristina :grommit:

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Agree with what everyone has said above.

We use nylon collars for Corbie (now on his 3rd!), and choke chains are not that good for dogs - read that you shouldnt attend a class where they says for your dog to wear one of these.

11 weeks old is young, Corbie had only just started going out for his walks then and to choke the poor pup if he pulled would probably frighten him more than anything.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I agree with Clare, sounds like a half check collar - I have heard of a number of trainers who insist on them being used, but I'm surprised they are insisting on using them at 11 weeks.
A half check collar should not 'choke' the dog. They are designed to tighten so that the dog cannot back out of them, and because they are worn looser than a flat collar, are often used on long haired breeds, so the hair doesn't kink where the collar lays.
While all these different collars and harness are useful and have their place. Your pup is only 11 weeks and should have no need for any harnesses, special collars etc. If you are taking him to classes and training him. I use a flat collar, nylon while they are young and growing, and once grown leather. Infact, the best trainers I know, insist on training in a flat collar and do not allow anything else in their classes.

I'm more concerned with the fact that the trainer wouldn't let you in the puppy class as you are a distraction. Without knowing their methods and intentions it's difficult to comment, but I would want to know what was happening and at least be watching.

My advice is to shop around for another class. Go and have a look first without your puppy, a good trainer will be happy for you to do this, and see if you are happy with their methods.
You may find something here - all members methods are based on positive reinforcement.
http://www.apdt.co.uk/list_trainers.asp
Good luck

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Just wanted to add that while I agree with the above and I only ever use a flat collar, the correct use of a choke chain should not injure the dog. Unfortunately, few people know how to use one correctly, and anyone recommending a novice using one would worry me, and certainly not used on a puppy. In the wrong hands, they can injure. Half checks though are different. They are worn loosely, and will tighten when pulled, to slightly tighter than a normal collar, but no so that the dog chokes.
Having said that, I still maintain that all training can and should be done in a normal flat collar.
HTH :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't agree with your instructor. It's the first time I've heard a choker / semi choker being recommended for a puppy. A simple leather collar will give you sufficient control over a dog if the controlling actions given by the owner are correct.

My instructor didn't allow any type of chains on dogs during the classes, as he believes they distress / hurt the dog unduly.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
I agree with lablover,i am a bit concerned why they would not let you in class,who is going to be excercising the pup?if you are not allowed to attend the class how will you know how jenson is being trained,our training classes were a hive of activity as they recommend the whole family go, and as they have a long waiting list they encouraged people on the list to bring their pups to watch at least twice to see what was going on,sometimes it could be pandemonium, but great to socilise the younger puppies,my husband only attended a few classes due to working away and when he is home he used to give dylan different words to me so poor dylan was confused,hopefully now we have got it right but only because i had to train ian in dylans way of training,if you see what i mean,jenson is your pup after all so if you dont want him to wear what they ask i would explain to the trainer or find another class.Lynne.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi every one thanks for the replies.

I'm not going to get a choker / semi choker.

I think I'm going to look for another dog trainer there's a local trainer listed on the APDT website.

I wasn't very happy at not being able to be in with the pup ,if I'm honest I didn't enjoy the class as I might as well sat in the car and waited for them to come out ,as Jenson is mainly my dog and the aim is to have him walking with me on the fells when he's grown up I obviously want to have a big role in training him.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Jasoon
Glad you're going to find another class. A trainer's job is to teach you to train your dog, and I don't know how that can happen if you're not involved. The class itself is where you learn how to do it, the real training goes on between classes and if you haven't been involved how do you know what to do? Add to that, I want to be my pup's biggest distraction, I need to be the centre of his universe and have him listening to me, so it's very puzzling what they were trying to achieve. :?
Good luck with the APDT trainer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts