Labradors Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor little Molly. She has been very unwell over the weekend vomitting and diareha, and very very quiet.

Took her to the vets this morning, and said best case she has colitis, worst case a name i can't remember but can be very serious.

Feeling very worried and upset.

Rgds

Mark

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

So sorry to hear molly is not very well, I hope she makes a full recovery soon! Big sloppy kisses from Ben :D

Cristina

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi mark

awwww poor molly hope she gets better soon what is colitis by the way?? is it just a normal bug or did it get passed onto her??

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
colitis (from what i gained from the vet) is the swelling of intenstines and rectum ... none too pleasant but treatable with a high fibre diet and a few jabs.

There is something else, but I can't remember the name, which has similar symptoms but can be very dangerous, so he said if it's cloitis she'll be much perkier tomorrow, if it is the other thing, she'll still be looking ill, and the vets will keep her in.

i think you get cloitis from something you eat, and its not infectous.

i'll let u know how she goes, but feeling vey concerned and pretty helpless at the moment.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
she has been eating today and no vomitting so far so i really hope she is on the mend .... i really hate it when our little friends become ill, and can't tell you what it is ... bless them

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Mark,

Glad Molly is feeling a bit better :)

Harvey has had an upset tummy and it's horrible :(

Best wishes

Fay

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi
I do hope Molly will recover very soon. Colitis is inflammation of the Colon, I wonder why the vet has to frighten you about something more serious.!! Did he mention Parvo? which is still treatable if treated in time.
Unless he is thinking of something which affects the Pancreas which again with the right treatment can be treated but is more difficult.

I am sure if you say she has eaten to day and is brighter she may have eaten something that has upset her or just has a bug. Let us know how she is Best Wishes Meg

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi mark....

Glad to see that molly is doing well....

Meg... can labbies who are vaccinated against parvo get it????

Thanks Vidhya

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Mark,

Very sorry to hear about Molly not feeling well and suffering from Colitis over the last couple of days, my thoughts are with you. It's not nice when our labs get ill, it can be a very stressful time for all those involved.

How is she doing today?

I haven't done that much reading on Colitis i have to admit, but have found a couple of useful links for anyone wishing to understand more about;

http://www.executec.com/colitis.htm

http://www.shilohgtf.com/Idiopathic_Canine_Colitis.htm

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1571&articleid=249

Hope Molly is on the mend & feeling brighter today Mark, keep us posted as to how she is doing.

Best wishes

Julie

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi Vidhya
Parvo usually only strikes unvaccinated animals. But obviously there is always an exception to every rule.
At one time when Parvo was very rife, some vets advocated every 6 months,vaccination but it is not the case now. But unfortunately it is very infectious and it can live for many months in freezing conditions in soil and of course is very difficult to get rid of in a house or kennel where you have had an animal with the infection. This is why if you have been unfortunate enough to have had the problem, it is never advisable to go and get another puppy for at least 6 months. Because it is practically impossibel to disinfect everything in a normal household.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Thank Meghloo...

Infact out here in Mumbai puppies are given 2-3 shots against Parvo and Disptember in a span of 3-4 months.....

But never knew the virus can live for 6 months....

Thanks again
Vidhya

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
HI
Infact research did show that live Parvo was found in soil that had been well below zero for much longer than 6 months. But 6 months is advised as the minimum time before taking a young puppy into premises where the virus had been Regards Meg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts