Labradors Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst we were away on holiday in Devon last week (with the dogs in tow too), I noticed Charlie's tail drooping badly. It was the day after he had spent a particularly energetic time racing in and out of the sea at Dawlish Warren, retrieving his tennis ball.

Charlie was certainly not in any pain and with no obvious injury, so in the end I did not take him to a local vet, and just kept an eye on him. His wagger has picked up a lot, but can still droop quite a bit more than usual.

How long before dogs with cold tail completely recover?

Charlie is due at our regular vet in the next week for his vaccination boosters, so if his tail is still down then I can ask the vet to examine it as a precaution.

I want his wagger back to normal!! 8O 8O It makes him look sad when it droops, though believe me, he is fine in himself. :D

Thanks for any advice. :D

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I was also going to say 3 or 4 days.

I would rest the dog for at least 2 of those days, as it is basically a sore inflamed muscle, and it is one that he can't help but use when out walking or playing.

Gentle ambling around the house is fine, but I found Bosun wasn't that keen to walk when it was very sore anyway.

Hope Charlie gets his wag back soon :D

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

He was kept to shortish walks on the lead for the next couple of days, as we were away from home and could not avoid having to take him with us. That did stop him racing about at least. Then he had to spend the best part of a day in the car when we drove home, so I would say he was rested as much as he realistically could have been at that stage.

Since then he has just been ambling along in the fields, but has taken to chasing Topsy around the garden occasionally again now, so maybe that means he is improving.

Can it become a repetitive injury in labs?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Rufus' lasted about a week. Didn't seem to worry him though he did look a little sad. You don't realise how much they use their tail until it won't work. He's not suffered again.

I hope Charlie's back to normal soon. Sounds like he had a great holiday.

Yvonne

·
Registered
577 Posts
Star had a broken wagger while we were on holiday in Devon too, hers was caused by playing in the water at Becky falls though although she did enjoy the beach at Dawlish Warren too.
Hers took approx 7 to 10 days to get back to full function although that was probably because we couldn't keep her out of the water for the rest of the week we were there after her wagger broke in the first place (we had two dogs with us and she would have been very unhappy if Jess had been allowed to swim without her).
Katrina

·
Registered
234 Posts
Abby has had it a couple of times now, they look so miserable with floppy tails. It has only lasted 3-4 days with her tops. I try to make extra sure I dry her really well at the base of her tail if she has been swimming or got really wet.

Our first day on holdiay in Northumberland she had spent loads of time in the water and was a bit worried cos it was slightly limp with that bit of a lump they seem to get. Happily though got away with it and it was all back to normal by the end of the day and she escaped the rest of the week, despite the fact she spent loads of time in the sea.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. :D Good to see that it doesn't normally last long. He has already improved a fair bit, but still has a droop.

I understand that they don't actually have to have been in water. Just vigorous exercise can do it too.

Yvonne, I certainly know what you mean. I didn't fully realise just how expressive dogs are with their tails until Charlie suddenly couldn't use his. I didn't realise how much I actually relied on his tail as a marker of his frame of mind, or of what he was probably thinking. It is all part of their body language, and they do look sad without it. :(

I now know just how much I love his wagger! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts