Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
harvey is 4 months old and has 450g of arden grange plus 200g of chappie mixed in split over 3 meal times does anyone feel that introducing cod liver oil or omega3 to the meal would benifit joints later in life i have just staeted to cut down harveys activity as he started to limp on sunday for no apparent reason the dog training instructor says he looks a bit heavy but most lab puppies do, i am now cutting his walking down to 3 x15 mins a day and 2x 5 min spells either playing fetch in the garden or indoors any one got any views hopefully he will be ok and its just a strain he was very bouncy at dog training last night and won a prize

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Garycelt
No don't give cod liver oil as it contains a lot of vitamins A & D which can be toxic if given too much, you could use Fish body oils instead, these contain more omega 3s
You could also give him a glucosamine & condroiting supplement.
I give flexicose.
HTH :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have no idea about fish oils but the concensus of opinion of those more knowledgeable then me about Lab things generally would deem that level of exercise unwise for a dog Harvey's age (this has been covered recently in other threads on this forum)

I must confess that I also was giving my Harvey similar amonts of activity. My thinking was that a dog has a resevoir of energy to burn off and supervised gentle walking was preferable to letting him burn it off by dashing about the house, chasing the cats and generally jumping about!. However I have now reduced his walks to the recommended 5 minutes per month of age as I feel its really not worth the risk, better to be safe then sorry later

Re-reading my breeders website I see he recommends not even taking them farther then the garden until they are at least 6 months old!. It appears patience is a much needed quality when bringing up a lab pup, but Im sure it will pay dividends in later years :)

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
I have to agree with Nigel about the over-exercise. This may be causing Harvey's limping.

Have a look at this previous thread with all you need to know about exercising your labrador to make sure he doesn't over do it at his young age while he is still growing. He should really only be getting, at 4 months, 20 mins of exercise in total per day, which will include his walk and playing in the garden.

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-678.html#3662

·
Registered
168 Posts
Having read contributors comments / websites, I too have reduced Molly's walks to the 5 minute per month rule, which I tend to break down to 2 walks a day.

To be honest, I thought initially the reduced "walking time" would lead to more over boisterous behaviour indoors, however to my (pleasant) surprise there has been little change.

I took her swimming for the first time at the weekend. She was a little apprehensive at first however after 5 minutes she took to it like a duck to water ... for that matter she would have taken a duck or too if she was quick enough!!!.

As you say, it is better to safe than sorry.

Regards

Mark.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I USED TO GIVE MABSY COD LIVER OIL, BUT WAS TOLD BY THE VET THAT IT WAS FATTENING FOR HIM. HE NOW HAS GLUCOSAMINE SULPHATE. HIS JOINTS ARE A LOT MORE SUPPLE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts