Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I've read about labs "blowing their coat" and understand that it's more than usual shedding and can be a couple of times a year, my question is, do they look any different when they're "blowing"?

It seems a silly question but I haven't found any pics of it online and I'm just wondering if that's what's going on with Edie? We've noticed more shedding than usual which is no biggie but she's got these 2 places, one on either side of her neck, that are a different color and different texture than the rest of her coat. It's really soft like the undercoat and about the same color but seems longer than the undercoat. Kind of hard to explain so I've attached a pic, hope you can see it under her collar there......

Just wondering if I should be concerned and looking for an underlying cause or if it looks normal for blowing her coat?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Dana
The spring moult tends to be heavier than the autumn moult as they are getting rid of their winter coat, and it can depend on how much time they spend out of doors.
I've never had a chocolate, but I do seem to remember hearing that their coats can go 'patchy' when they moult.
Don't know if that helps :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Dana, just wondering how Edie's coat is? I have a chocolate lab nearly 7 months and she is a distinct 'bournville' brown colour. She has two chocolate lab friends who are older and they have a more gingery coloured coat. Both the owners say that their dogs were darker as puppies so I am wondering if this is what happens to chocolates when they shed their first coat. Is this maybe what is happening to Edie? I would be interested in other chocolate lab owners comments on this too.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi

my late choccy lab tessa "s coat was also differnt shades of brown tail lighter than her head and her back had light/dark patches on each molt as i call them seem to change her coat adds character and also easier to tell apart when she went to play with her other choccy freinds..lol..started changing when she was about 2 i think...
so now im just waiting on our new 7month old rosze to do the camilion on us..lol..

so i dont think its any thing to worry about :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Chocky! Thanks for asking :-D Those 2 places are looking much better. The darker, coarser hair is coming in nicely now so I guess it was just her shedding her winter coat. It just seemed strange that it was so much more noticeable in those 2 places.

She's 15 months old now but when she was younger (around 4 or 5 months I think) we definitely noticed a change in her coat. It started with her tail and along her back - she was looking pretty mixed up there for a while :lol: Strange though because it was darker and coarser than her puppy coat, not lighter. Funny how they're all so different huh?

If your little girl's coat hasn't changed by now maybe it won't? Emma, our 10 month old black Lab, is still just as soft and sleek as the day she came home - we didn't notice a change in her coat at all and she doesn't seem to shed nearly as much as Edie.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Max is shedding for the first time and i've noticed he has gone patchy on one of his back legs... i'lll keep a close eye on it now.... i hope he doesn't change colour as he is a fantastic dark brown and everyone comments on what a lovely colour he is... both his parents were very dark brown so hopefully he will be too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts