Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to anna i've started frodo on clicker training... The first step is click and treat....But my problem is frodo is more interested in the clicker 8O ...he thinks its a toy and needs to be mended.....can anyone help????

I want to use the clicker ONLY FOR RECALL "C O M E" how can i do that....

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Vidya
Firstly, I'd use some high value treats. Show him the treats, and then click and treat. If he really isn't interested in the treats, then I would actually start when he was hungry - ie before a meal, or even skip a meal if necessary - so that food is uppermost in his mind. Click and give him a treat, repeat over and over, because what you are aiming for is for him to associate the click with being rewarded (ie treat). Do this for a few days and make sure he associates the click with treat before you start to use it in training.
The clicker is really just used as a marker, instead of praise. The advantages are that many people find it easier to get the timing right with a clicker.
A few tips that you may find useful. If he has been ignoring 'come' and you are going to reteach the recall, use a different word this time or even a whistle. Start off small (a few yards, in an area where he really has to come straight to you) and build up slowly to longer distances and with distractions.
The thing with recall is you need to make yourself the most interesting thing around, so that he wants to be with you.
regards
Jenny

·
Registered
880 Posts
try liver cake, if you cant get hold of it make some, or pate, i dont know about mumbai but in the uk i get tesco value meat paste, basically the more smelly and disgusting it is the more he'll like it, i know your veggie, so am i but if i have meat paste vogue will do anything, although marmite (vegiemite) soft cheese and peanut butter are vogues preferred foods too.
anna

Liver Cake Recipie

Approx. 375g of Liver
2 eggs
2-4 cloves garlic (dogs love anything with garlic in!)

Put them all in the food processor - add in 1 cup (sorry its from an american site) of Self-Raising flour. Spread out thinly on a large baking sheet. Bake for 20-30 minutes in a moderate oven. Cool and chop. Freezes well.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I picked up a good tip which I have tried 3 times with dlyan and already he is coming!!!

once the clicker = good boy = treat then this works.

when he is away from you have the clicker and treats ready.... call his name.... as soon as he looks at you click ..... then shout come.... if he hears the click by now he will be hurtling towards you. keep saying come... then if you like issue 'sit' command... hopefully infront of you ... click and treat.

2 clicks and he will be yours.

The key to its success (from a book Ive been reading) is breaking down the required behaviours into little steps...in this case...when you call his name and he looks at you and gives his attention...click and reward as this is good behaviour.... this can be practised close up first and very quickly at distance.

1st day of clicker use and Im amazed at how quickly my pup has picked it up :-D

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Day 2 and I just want to say this clicker lark is unbelieveable........ dylan has taken a fancy to the German shepherd puppy (bitch) my neighbours have. We have a low fence which thy can sniff and smooch through. For the last 2 weeks I have been calling and then having to go fetch him from the end of the garden and his love EVERY time he is out......untill today :-D

No clicker just called his name and come and he turns and runs to me!!! I really cant believe how in one day this has worked....and for him to leave his girlfriend too :lol:

hope this gives you hope of success with the clicker...Im a total convert.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts