Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think Harry might need his claws clipping? He's been giving them a bit of a bite. How do I tell if he does need them doing? They don't seem that long to me. He gets a mixture of runs in the park and street walks. Any tips on how to do it too?

Gwinni

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm by no means an expert, but I watched Lola's breeder cut her claws just before I brought her home and she just took the tips off with nail clippers (doggy ones, but she said regular ones would be fine). So long as it's just the tips that you take off, the dog doesn't feel anything. I used to clip my bunny's nails regularly with nail clippers and the same principle applied. Good luck!

G

·
If you stand him on the pavement and you can slide a credit card between his nails and the pavement, then they are about the right length, if his nails touch the ground then you need to take some off. That's how I tell anyway. :wink:

I always clip mine back so they are at a right angle to the floor (if the dog is standing), so then even if you only take the tips off, as the dog walks, it wears them back to the right length quicker.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
When muddy, I wipe them over with a damp cloth , to tell between the dull and the shiney part to take the points off.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Oooh I'm feeling all inspired... off to have another go with the nail clippers... snip snip (failed miserably last time I tried)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely one for the husband I think! I've still not recovered from making first born son's thumb bleed when I cut his nails for the first time, and that was 11 years ago!

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
CJ does his own "pedicure" he regularly cleans his nails especially if he`s had a particularly muddy walk, could be that Harry is doing the same thing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did wonder that. Slightly concerned he's going to chew through and make them bleed though.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
How I wish I'd started this with Bracken from day 1. Had to rugby tackle her several times just now, and just when I got her wedged into a near impossible position to wriggle out of, positioned clippers, just about to snip, and she'd manage to move her paw and it was back to square one. Argh. I WILL NOT be defeated. So a half a box of treats later, and me practically lying on top of her, I managed to get her to stay still long enough to get a teeny tiny tip off one claw :roll: Little beggars tail wagged the whole time as well. I'm going to have to persevere with little and often until she realises that claw clipping is good, ends with lovely treats, and that her efforts to wriggle are futile because she's not getting to go until she's still anyway!!!

G

·
Mo, try doing everything mega slowly and keep any treats out of sight, preferable still in the cupboard.

Just the thought of treats get some soooo excited it can gee them up into a wiggling mess, which is the last thing you want really. So start as you would any other training session, nice and calm. Get her to sit and wait, then run your hand slowly down from her shoulder to her paw. Tell her WAIT again if you have to. Then lift the paw, all still very slowly but deliberately. Open her toes gently (tell her to WAIT again if she is looking like she will pull away or wiggle) aim the clippers slowly and snip.

Just aim to do one nail to start off with and if she stays calm and lets you without a fuss.....then release her and go to get her a treat, still keeping yourself as calm as poss, as you don't want her to have any association between the clippers and excitement.

The trouble with doing anything WE are remotely worried about, is that we get in a flap, start trying to "get it over with" as fast as poss and this of course is picked up by the dog and either makes them scared or gets them all over excited. I've found with my more sensitive dogs, the slower and more calm I am, the more likely they are to accept what I'm doing.

And keep the treats to a REWARD for when you are totally finished (and they have been good) not a BRIBE, as you could inadvertantly be rewarding the very behaviour you want to avoid. :wink:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Do some claws never grown long enough to clip??

Bug probably has about 20% on pavement, the rest of time in fields (and the river!)

His claws simply don't seem to grow! - they are kind of stubby too....squared off on the end -which I guess would imply that they get trimmed by the pavement.....

Perhaps he has deformed toenails!!?

g

G

·
Gezza said:
Do some claws never grown long enough to clip??
I probably only take the tips off Mojo's about 2-3 times a year and that is mostly because she doesn't like having her feet touched, so I make sure she stays aware of the fact that I'm not going to hurt her.

It very much depends on the shape of the foot, the thickness of the nail, the amount and type of exercise, how the dog moves (some seem to scrape their nails along as they go) and even how heavy the dog is. You'll get some who'll need a regular pedicure and others who'll go most of their life never needing anything done......So no, you haven't got a dog with deformed toenails or anything like that. :wink: :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,716 Posts
Has anyone got a pic of roughly how long the nails should look please? And the angle you cut them? (I know Jules said 90% but I need to see a pic please!)

G

·
xWendyx said:
Has anyone got a pic of roughly how long the nails should look please? And the angle you cut them?
I nabbed this pic from one of Johns posts (I'm sure he won't mind :wink: )

As to how long they look that will depend on the dogs foot shape and whether they have been kept right back. As I said, I use the "if they touch the ground when standing, they are too long" guide. But a dog whose nails have got really long will probably never be able to get them back that short, as the longer they get, the further down the quick grows and you don't want to be cutting into that.

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Ettinsmoor said:
Don't worry Mo, Boots will come with newly clipped nails :D .
Frankly Mo - I think there's some room for negotiation there - I'm sure you could persuade JIll to clip Bracken's for you - then you won't need to bother!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come to think of it, I guess quite a lot of us could come to witness the hand over - all with dogs whose nails need clipping!!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Thanks for your post Jules, that's really helpful.

I attempted to clip her nails for the first time ever a few weeks back. It went fine, I got a good few done before she really realised what was happening. THEN, she turned into a mentalist. I'm not sure if this is because she suddenly realised what was going on, or if it was because I snipped one a bit too much.... either way, she was then having none of it.

She was lying fast asleep last night, but as soon as she opened her eyes and saw the clippers, she went into contortionist mode (but tail wagging - daft dog :roll: )

I'll have a go again tonight and put your advice into practice - definitely don't want to be rewarding the undesirable behaviour :wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts