Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I wouldn't risk if she's not used to that kind of food. You might have to deal with her diarrhoea instead of spending time with your family.
What do you feed her with? Do you give her any left overs?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She has nothing rearly apart from James wellbeloved and chew sticks just thought as its christmas a treat might be nice

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
philiplevis said:
She has nothing rearly apart from James wellbeloved and chew sticks just thought as its christmas a treat might be nice
being you I wouldn't risk because you can't be sure how her tummy will react. If you really want to treat her for Christmas just give her more attention and maybe a bit more of treats she's used to :)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Lily's Kitchen have a tinned Christmas dinner. You could buy a couple of cans and mix some with her food during the week prior to Christmas and then that could be her Christmas dinner!
Cooper is getting that and a big raw bone from the butcher!

If you decide to give some of your dinner, just make sure there are no cooked bones and avoid the usual onions, grapes, etc. but like said above there's a risk you'll have to deal with upset tummy on Christmas Day!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks for the advise looks like its move love on Christmas day if she can be more loved than she is now x x :D

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'm like Angela, my two get leftovers of all sorts of dinners and as a result have reasonably robust tums. There would be a riot in our house if they didn't get a Christmas dinner. When I ordered my turkey and the butcher asked how many it was to serve, I said 4 people and 2 labradors! :wink:

You still have two weeks before Christmas, so you could try adding little bits of meat/veg in her bowl, with a little less of her usual dinner and see how she reacts. As long as she doesn't have a huge plateful on Christmas day, she might get away with a little turkey and veg.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
There's no such thing as leftovers in our house (!)

So Tatze won't be getting anything different for Christmas - she won't know :) But I have bought a nice new toy for her :)

We are having Christmas day on Christmas eve as Booglet2 is working on Christmas day - awww.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Django always gets nice table scraps and he will be joining us with his cousin, labrador Monty for Christmas dinner, followed by a glorious run on the beach.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
My lot get loads of left overs, including left over curry! At the moment, they are getting a lot from the a local pub my next door neighbours work for; they keep snaffling the left over cooked meat for the girls, they're loving it!!

That said, if you don't regularly feed left overs, it might not be worth risking it, as mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
I just avoid the chicken/turkey skin and avoid giving them too many potatoes as I love 'em and appreciate them more than the dogs!

Mine are used to getting bits of everything so a bit of xmas dinner mixed in with a bit of their usual dinner is greatly enjoyed!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Mine also get a Christmas dinner, i normally give them one potato, some chicken (i dont really eat turkey) some veg, half a yorkshire pudding and a small amount of gravy each. It's only once a year so they get to enjoy it too. :lol: In fact this year i'm spending Christmas on my own now i'm no longer with my ex, my sister invited me to hers for Christmas dinner and i turned her down so that the dogs will still get theirs......sad i know. :oops: :lol:

In general they do get the odd occasional left overs if its something i don't mind them having, like a bit of tuna pasta or bolognaise mixed into their meal. I also mix a can of pilchards into their food once a week which they love.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Mac gets the odd bit of leftovers and as per tradition with every dog we've had he gets a full Christmas dinner :)

It really is up to you, but I would certainly get a dog used to leftovers before unleashing a full Christmas dinner on them.

·
Administrator
20,474 Posts
If you want to give some Christmas dinner then I'd replace about a quarter of her regular dinner with just a little of your dinner. I certainly would not give just your dinner if she's not use to a varied diet, but just a little should be ok, and it will certainly make it smell nice.

Regards, John

·
Registered
592 Posts
Christmas dinner isn't very good for us either, but we still eat and enjoy it! It's just one day - some table scraps and some gravy as a one off isn't going to do them any harm, as long as there's nothing poisonous for dogs in it. It's not like we're giving them roast dinner every day.

She may well have a bit of a dodgy tum the next day from eating the rich food, but then again won't a good part of the human population too? :wink:

L

·
0 Posts
Charlie has leftover Sunday roasts now and again, so she will enjoy her Christmas dinner :)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Last year we didn't give Henry any Christmas lunch as he was only 6 months old and he hadn't had any human food, but this year he will get a bit of ours. He is now used to a few leftovers, had all sorts of stuff that he has found whilst out on walks and helped himself to the contents of the bin on numerous occasions :roll:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts