Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wondered how many of you expressed an interest in gettting a pup from a breeder and then waited for the breeder to allocate the pup to you or did you go and chose one from the litter yourself? We chose Coco from a litter (after we'd been well and truly cross examined by the breeder about our plans, home life etc) but I know some breeders have such long waiting lists that you have to wait and accept the pup that is allocated to you. Has anyone taken a pup (from a reputable breeder) that they have never seen before?

We first saw the pups at 2 weeks then chose the one we wanted at 6 weeks. And here she is, aged 6 weeks!

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
We went and met Corbie's breeder seven weeks before the pups were due to be born as she liked to meet prospective owners first and we were able to ask lots of questions to each other and meet the parents and her other dogs and we were put on the waiting list, and were third for a boy.

A weekend was set aside when the pups were 4 weeks old (this prevented possible infections to the pups prior to this period and plus they were also moving around at this point and started to have little personalities) so everyone could come and choose their pup at different intervals and spend a few hours with it. We had three to choose from and Corbie was the one I held first and we just seemed to bond :D He kept following me around :lol: They all had little marks on their fur done with hair clippers as soon as they were born so that when we chose them, we would know who was who.

This is Corbie the day we first met :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi

We were supposed to get a pup from a breeder and they let us down, me and the kids were so upset that we saw an advert in the local paper for lab pups that were ready. I phoned our vet to see if anyone had heard of the breeders and got glowing reports back so we went to have a "look".

She olny had 3 pups left 1 yellow dog and 2 black bitches and she put all 3three of them out on the grass. We stood back and the 2 bitches ran off down the garden together and the dog came over to us. Hubby picked him up and he peed on him :lol: so i said that he had to be the one!
Also he was playing with my 2 girls and when we put Ellie my youngest back in her buggy, he went and lay down underneath it and went to sleep :D

And we paid a deposit for him there and then. She did ask us quite a lot of questions about home life had we had dogs before etc and we were shown both Jester's parents and all their other dogs too.

Lyndsay xxx

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
I rang the breeded after I got the name from the Labrador retriever club she only had one left which was Hershey and we went and saw him fell in love and bought him

This is hershey the day we got him home

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
When possible I've always let the pup choose me- I've got quite messy in the process but it seems to have worked for me- if I have 'wanted' a dog/ bitch I have only been shown them- our first dog slipped himself in when we viewed- never looked back!!!! A very 'chubby' andrex puppy called Crocker- we should have stayed with Rocket, his KC 'name' it suited him better

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I`m afraid I did`nt check out CJ`s breeder :( , Kay checked for me since and he is`nt registered with any Lab clubs. That aside though CJ chose me, there were 3 boys left, they all came forward when I went but CJ was the one who stayed, he started pulling the laces on my shoes, and grabbed the guy`s trousers :lol:

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
We went to see Hallys litter at 6 weeks, and she very definitely chose us :D There were the three bitches in the litter and the breeder separated them out for us, one had a sniff and walked away, the other steamed in there and started chewing everyones shoes, then Hally sat patiently watching and came over to us when we had discarded the other bitch, had a play and came up for a cudde :D we were hooked and have been ever since :D

Sue

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Has anyone taken a pup (from a reputable breeder) that they have never seen before?
hi,
yes i did with my first lab.
the breeder lived quiet far away, i went once their to see the mother.
we wanted a black male, there was only one, so we came back 8 weeks later, picked him up, and he was our big love.

lots of greetings evelyn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts