Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had an awful scare.

Tatze was eating her tea and started choking. She couldn't breathe. I was slapping her back, she was in a bad way.

I slapped harder and eventually the piece of kibble shot out. Then she retched 8O

I wondered what I would have done if she'd stopped breathing altogether - could you do the Heimlich maneuver on a dog?

Once all was normal again I gave Tatze some Manuka honey and an ice cube - then googled.

Here is a good article.

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Choking-Dog

She always hoovers her food up, I usually give her a few pieces then the rest in a wobble-kong. ALL will be going in the kong in future!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Poor Tatze, and poor you! Well done for staying so calm.

Humphrey is another that eats his food fast - 4 seconds I counted last week, whilst Saffy took over a minute. I bought Humphrey a slow feeding bowl so it takes him around 4-5 mins to eat his food now.

Putting all her food in the wobbler sounds like a good idea from now on!

?

·
0 Posts
I wondered what I would have done if she'd stopped breathing altogether - could you do the Heimlich maneuver on a dog?
That's what happened to my first Guide Dog pup. She was eating her food right behind me (I was just making a cuppa) when all of a sudden she collapsed. She was blue and there were no breath sounds at all. I slipped my hands under her belly and jerked her upright and out came a huge mouthful of dried food. She had literally inhaled it. She came round immediately and carried on eating like nothing had happened 8O .

I've never fed dried food DRY to a greedy dog since.

Glad your girl is ok.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well done Jules!

It's just as scary in dogs as humans - I have dealt with it in a few kids and my Mum in my time. I just hadn't thought how to do it in pooches.

Yes - Tatze carried on eating her meal afterwards and then continued life as if nothing had happened, while I sat in a shaking heap on the sofa!

During the evening she made 'sore throat' kind of coughing noises so I administered more honey and ice. This morning I didn't want to wake Mr Boogs up with the kong, which is very noisy (I get up at 7, he gets up at 9!) So I spread her food all over the floor.

:)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Jeez that would have scared the pants off me 8O

So glad she's alright though :)

I always add a beaker of water to Thor's kibble for a while now it really slowed him down and he's seems to eat quite steadily these days.

I had to stop using the wibble kong as it made a mess of his nose, not sure if he just wasn't doing it right ( is there a right way ?) or he had a reaction to the material but the top of his nose had open sores on it really quickly 8O bless, so we gave it to the little springer Pepper we walk with..

·
Premium Member
8,781 Posts
I'm another in the cover the dry kibble with water camp. Helps to keep them hydrated too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts