Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Could anyone give me some advice on choc labs. I've always had black. I'm going to get a new pup in the next few months and I was thinking of chocolate for a change. The problem is lots of people have told me that 1. they have more health problems 2. they are mad and 3. they are much harder to train. I find the last two points difficult to accept as I think these are down to the owner. Any ideas? thanks

·
Premium Member
9,084 Posts
The colour has nothing whatsoever to do with health/trainability/lunacy! I have blacks with more health issues than my choc. My blacks have been harder to train.

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Hi,
I have a choc lab and having and all colours, I can tell you it makes no odds what colour their fur is regards training and temperment, but as with any colour, choose your breeder carefully, check all the health tests have been done and that the results are as you would want them to be, and try to meet as many dogs of similar breeding to the litter you like to be sure that their characteristics are to your liking.

Because of the 'fashion' for choc labs over the last 10 years or so, there have been some less-than-satisfactory breeding of dogs that were breed for the wrong reasons, but that goes for a lot of breeds that have hit the popularity stakes.

Just research carefully (as you would any puppy-purchase) There are some good 'stickys' in the breeding and puppy section that are worth reading about finding a good breeder.

Good Luck,
Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
Hi there...

Have a look at this article re: trainability/are they mad...

http://www.wylanbriar.co.uk/?p=p_25&sName=are-all-chocolate-labradors-untrainable-

In terms of being unhealthy/less healthy than a black or yellow/having more health problems - In general thats a load of bobbins, but it depends on whether you select a pup carefully and from a responsible breeder that has done everything to ensure that the pups are as healthy as possible, i.e. hip scoring/eye testing of the parents as a minimum etc. This link will help you out on that one...

http://www.wylanbriar.co.uk/?p=p_27&sName=buying-a-pup-

If you aren't sure whether all these tests etc. are worth it, then have a look at

www.lab-health.co.uk

Good Luck with your search!

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
I have two choccie lads (see below). It's me that's mad. 8O

It's all misinformed fairy tales based on examples of bad irresponsible breeding. :p
Follow the advice given above, it applies to any colour of Labrador. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:D thanks so much everyone. It's pretty much what I thought. I've got a huge dilema now though. My beloved old black lab sadly passed away recently. The breeder I got him from has just had a litter of blacks which would be from the same line as him. I've also found a really good breeder of chocs who also has a lovely litter. Which should I choose? I think I would be getting the black in the hope that he would be exactly like my old lab - not sure if that is right. The black is from working lines and the choc is a show breed. Does anyone think there is any truth in the myth that show labs are less easy to train and not as loyal? Again, it's probably a load of rubbish and again down to the breeding and how you are as an owner.
By the way - all your dogs look gorgeous!

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
As others have said, it's all a load of old bumkum.

There are poorly bred Labs out there of all colours - but don't forget - colour genes permitting, apart from chocolates which can't produce black, they all have the capacity to produce all the colours :D so you would effectively be saying the chocolate gene from a black is mad but the black gene is ok :?

Likewise with show and working dogs - there are easy to train well behaved dogs and not so easy to train, poorly behaved dogs - very little to do with show or working bred - yes obviously, if you are going to do some working with your dog, then you are going to have more chance with a working bred dog :D

As for clones of other dogs - no it doesn't always follow - my eldest chocolate girl is a sweetheart - as is her eldest daughter who is almost a clone of her mother - her youngest daughter OTOH is a complete nutjob :roll:

Follow the principles of buying from responsible breeders who use the available health testing schemes and you feel comfortable with, and while it doesn't offer you a guarantee - it greatly reduces any risks :D

·
Registered
526 Posts
I went down the same lines as you my old black lab passed away she was the best girl ever no probs what so ever so when the time came I went and got another black lab puppy with very similar lines to that of hers. And she turned out to be as far different from 1st lab than I could have got lol, which is not bad thing as it makes her unique lol. I also recently got a fox red lab and she is far more like my first black than other black, its all a bit of pot luck what you get but with good health checks on the parents and good temperaments and training it all helps. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts