Labradors Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my name is Jo and this is my first post :p Based on knowing a wonderful chocolate lab for 12 years and the time now being right (daughter growing up and work part-time from home) we have decided to have a chocolate lab puppy. We have talked about it for over 6 months now, researched it thoroughly and feel very prepared. On talking to one breeder (who to the best of my knowledge is reputable) I was given the number of another breeder with a pregnant bitch who had been mated with her stud dog. I talked to the breeder at length who then suggested we visit and meet the pregnant bitch so that we could see her setup and she could then check we were ok. This we did and everything went really well and the bitch was lovely and had a fabulous temperament and we are due to go back and visit when the puppies are born. Now my concern comes from reading some info about the chocolate gene pool. I read that because it is easy to get a complete choc litter by putting chocolate with chocolate, reputable breeders don't do this and would rather use a black dog carrying the chocolate gene. I understand about puppy farmers and the damage they do, but the two breeders I have found are putting chocolate with chocolate and now I am concerned. They really were both up front and gave me loads of information and vetted me thoroughly so i was convinced they were genuine. Grateful for any advice and I hope i make sense.

Jo :p

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi

Good luck.

What information do you have on the parents and the lines they come from? Have all the health certs been obtained? Do either dog have any titles or been proven in any way?

HTH

·
Registered
173 Posts
The way I understand it (please keep in mind this is a layman's point of view and I stand a strong chance of being corrected :lol:) it's alright to breed chocolate to chocolate occasionally as long as they bring a chocolate factored black back into the line, otherwise the coat colour and pigmentation stand a chance of becoming diluted.

I would be concerned if they were breeding yellow to chocolate, as that can produce light eyes in the chocolates and incorrect pigmentation in the yellow pups.

I would also be worried if they are breeding solely for color. Chocolate Labs are becoming more popular and I think some breeders are capitalizing on that. I think it's natural to have a preference on colour but that should not come before health, temperament, and conformation.

I can understand your concern. I think it's getting more difficult to be sure someone is breeding responsibly because as the awareness of irresponsible breeding heightens breeders are getting better at saying all the right things.

They've vetted you so don't be afraid to ask them questions. Along with what Labdad mentioned, maybe you could just ask them why they breed chocolate to chocolate and see what they say. Or ask them why they breed chocolates in general.

Good luck in your search! I hope you'll let us know how it's going.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Labdad and Dana, thanks to both of you for your replies. I have done some digging and now also spoken to the breeder who has assured me everything is in order. I have been told from an independent source that this breeder is pretty much an expert in the small circle of reputable chocolate breeders in the country so I feel happy. Glad i asked for your advice though as I might not have questioned it and lost my much wanted puppy!

Hopefully be back on here soon with pictures and more questions.

Thanks again,

Jo :p

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi joell

i had a choccy lab both her parents were choccy (she passed away last year in nov with cancer) she was a great dog

and last night we bought another choccy lab 8mnths and again both her parents are choccy but i noticed on both there family historys that there is black labs running through her famiily

as long as you have good background information and you have found a reputable breeder then i think all will be well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Clariscrazy, did you actually bring your new lab home last night? How exciting. I can't wait - what have you called it? :p

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
joell

yes we brought her homelast night we got in about 9:20pm and she only calmed down about 1pm this afternoon...lol..3 cats to play with and 2 other dogs aswell i think she is in 7th heaven..lol..her name is rosze :):):):)

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Jo

Looks like you have got some good advice here and I look forward to hearing all about your new pup.

Clair - that's great news! Look forward to hearing about Rosze and of course seeing some piccies!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clair, She sounds wonderful and I love the name. We keep going round in circles about names - so many to choose from! Best of luck with her and can't wait to see some photos.

Thanks Nicola, will be taking loads of piccies so will let you all know when our new arrival's here.

Best wishes,

Jo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts