Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve bought a number of toys for Maya who is 9 weeks old. Some are squeaky and some are chewy toys and we are playing with her with these and using that as substitutes when she starts play biting. Both of my other labs though absolutely adored rawhide chews. As it’s 13 years since I last had a pup, I thought I’d ask at what age other owners introduced their youngsters to these or other harder chews like them?

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Definitely not rawhide chews. I don’t think you need to worry providing the chew or toy is age appropriate. I’ve given a 9 week old a raw bone to gnaw on, nylabones, sawn antlers.

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
The problem with rawhide chews is that it's possible for a dog to break off a lump and swallow it, the hide then absorbs moisture in the stomach, swells, and can then cause a blockage in the intestines. An occasional frozen carrot is a good substitute. (Also useful as a chew to help with teething.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all. Those are good suggestion. I recall the frozen carrot thing for teething with my last lab John. We’ve started her with frozen stuffed kongs which she’s enjoyed. I had not come across sawn antlers until recently.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
The other problem with rawhide that hasn't been mentioned is that it goes through a lot of chemical processes to preserve it, it's really not nice stuff, and a huge amount of it comes from China so you really don't know what animal it used to be.

I've fed pups chicken frames at 5 weeks of age, they are able to munch through them without any problems and absolutely love them, so really, whatever is appropriate for a dog is fine for a young pup as well, just avoid things that splinter or where bits come off such as nylabones.

·
Registered
pablo
8 Posts
Its soo good to read all your experiences as i have a pup about 6 days now-he is just over 9 weeks old awaiting his vaccinations and health checks. Mine still sleeps in our bedrooom on the floor on a big cushion, although we have a crate downstairs.

Good luck
Deepak

1 - 6 of 6 Posts