Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We now have a chocolate lab, she's now about 4 months old, "Holly".

Mum and Dad like to sit out in the garden but Holly, altho we know she is a typical pup from having 2 honey labs before, she insists on eating and chewing everything, even the bark thats fallen from the trees.
It's getting to the stage theres hardly a minutes peace.

The folks say they'll get a muzzle for her, but personally I find that cruel and only a last resort.

Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

Have you tried a toy that you can stuff with food? They tend to keep them busy for quite a while. My dog Ben has a pressed raw hide bone that lasts him at least a week,which he takes in the garden sometimes. Also a good training lesson is quite good for wearing them out, and also proves useful. HTH :)

Cristina

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Bigbowfer,

Chewing & eating things they shouldn't is, as probably most people would agree - a labs favourite thing of all! (OK apart from getting filfthy maybe!) :D

When our Lab Bradley was younger (he is nearly 1 now) he used to eat everything in site, especially whilst out on his walk, it would be like we were going on a treasure hunt, and he had to collect as many things in his mouth as he possibly could. It would be stick, followed by small stone, followed by a lump of dirt, fir cone, plastic bottle, poo anything really that he came across.

Over time, although it has taken a lot of time to do so, he has got better. Whenever he picked something up he shouldn't, we would tell him firmly 'no' and take the item out of his mouth. There were times when we would walk down the road, and say 'no' at least 50 times! We did consider getting a muzzle at one point, as we were worried he was going to swallow something that would cause him serious harm, and i would advise anyone worried about their labs doing the same thing, muzzles could help until maybe they are older.

Personally, we preferred to use the word 'no' and now, Bradley is pretty good mostly. He will still pick things up he shouldn't, but he now knows it is naughty, and he will look at us as if to say, 'can i get away with it, or are mum and dad looking?' !!! 9/10 times we catch him, and tell him no, and take the item out his mouth. It's hard work, but worth it, and i'm sure as they get older things will get easier.

Kongs are good, also nylabones. Buster cubes, and a good variation of toys will help take their minds of things they shouldn't be chewing/eating.

Some more info here:

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-850-eating.html

Hope it all works out for you, keep us posted as to how you get on.

Bye for now

Julie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts