Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
Mylo is 1 year old and has always been fed on Burns food, maintaining a healthy weight and coat/eyes etc. Due to the fact that my wife is heavily pregnant with twins and out of work we as a family have no choice but to look into ways of saving a few quid here and there. Burns is undeniably one of the better dry dog foods but also one of the most expensive.
I'm interested in hearing any recommendations for a cheaper food but without compromising the quality too much. I love my boy to bits and I'd never give him any crap like Bakers etc but if I can find something that he'll be happy and healthy on for a cheaper price it would help.
For example, Wagg dog food seems cheap everywhere and has fairly decent reviews on Amazon but I'm still not convinced. Has anyone on here used it and got feedback on it? Harrington's is another one I've looked at if anyone can give feedback on that too?

I realise that I may possibly get judged and criticised for trying to save a few quid but that won't help me. As I said, I'm just looking for some helpful comments and suggestions of a decent quality food and I'll be very grateful for any help you guys can give :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
I know many here feed Skinners, I used to feed Burns but my Lilly won't touch it anymore since she took ill back in January. I now feed NatureDiet which is actually a bit more expensive so I can't really help too much but I had considered Wainwrights and Skinners Dry food.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I did feed Burns some years ago, but I wasn't very impressed with it in the end and it seems to be pretty expensive for some of the ingredients, to me. I'd take a look at things like Arden Grange, Wainrights (Pets at Home own) and Simpsons to see how prices compare. Of those three, I've only fed Arden Grange in the past, but they all seem to get recommended.

If you don't currently buy online, I'd take a look at prices only as they can be better than buying locally (or you might find a local place will try to price match). I buy my pet food from GJW Titmuss and VetUK as I am happy with the prices and I raise a donation for Oldies Club when I shop that way.

I've looked at Wagg in the past and the ones I looked at seemed to have a rather high wheat content, but I know others seem happy with it.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Since Merlin will only eat Chappie, I feed that supplemented with a spoonful of decent wet food and vegetables (I buy the own brand frozen veg).

I worked out the other day it costs about a fiver to feed my two for a week.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I use Burgess Sensitive Hypoallergenic Scottish Salmon and Rice for my two. I did feed Burns but it didn't agree with Charlie. I tried some different kibbles, and this is the only one that has suited - healthy weight, tums and coats.

I pay £45 for 2 x 12.5kg bags with free delivery and it arrives within 2 days of ordering. It is a lot more expensive from PAH though (£35 a bag I think).

http://www.parkpets.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=1204&cat=2

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I'm not sure if you live in a rural area but there are some really inexpensive vat free dog foods in my local farm shop. I might be totally wrong here but I would imagine the quality would be better than the low end supermarket foods. So much would have gone on advertising etc. maybe you should look around and get a feel for what's available in your area and then ask specifically for recommendations. You shouldn't feel bad that you are shopping around, we all have to do the best we can for our families, canine included in that statement. You wouldn't be asking the question if you were prepared to feed rubbish. When you have a young family there are times when you need to tighten your belt and make sure we aren't wasteful. I've been in a similar position when I was younger, I can tell you I ate a lot of potato soup and the woofs had whatever was on sale.

Amanda, Roxy and Buster

·
Registered
30 Posts
We feed Wuffitmix to our 3 mths pup.

Not the cheapest but nowhere near the dearest.
There are several feeds in the range to suit most ages/likes/dislikes etc..
The give a list of food and additives for each feed.

We have fed Wuffitmix food to our other dogs without problems whatsoever.

It's worth 'Googling' the site to have a peep at what's on offer.
You can even request free samples to see how things go.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
We feed Chapel Farm 24 performance plus to our lot, £20.75 for 15 kgs, free delivery when u buy 2 or more bags, there are a couple of cheaper versions, a friend feeds the original20 at £16.75 for 15kgs and her labs are fine and dandy too :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
We feed Skinners Maintence food and have done since Chewy came off her puppy food. We have a little indepantant pet shop practically on my works car park and sell it at £23 per 15kg which is the best price I have found anywhere.

She has had some tummy issues recently but I am not convinced it is the food at the moment. She certainly loves it, and has a lovely extra thick coat and beautiful eyes. I did overfeed her for a long time though and she became a little overweight - this is because until I joined this forum I thought you had to feed according to the chart on the bag so I was feeding way too much, I now feed a reduced amount and she is loosing weight - I can't blame this on the food!

Her puppy food was Eukanuba (if that's how it's spelled?!) and I thought that was very overpriced for what it was.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I've fed Wagg in the past and both dogs were fine, glossy coats, no digestion problems. I found it was was hard to control their weight despite feeding a lot less than was recommended on the bag. Both girls were spayed so had a tendency to pile on the pounds.
I think sometimes Wagg gets bad reports because it's cheap and has wheat and maize in the ingredients. If your dog is ok on it with no allergies I can't see it being such a bad thing.
My twins are grown up now, I can remember it being quite an expense, it's not something you plan for when sorting out your finances so it's harder to budget. Good luck with the babies.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I feed my Lab Vitalin Active which I buy for £9.99 at Mole Valley Farmers. It has 35% meat and no artificial colours or preservatives, he does great on it, has a lovely glossy coat and plenty of muscle and energy.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Which Burns variety are you using?

I use Burns Canine Alert which is aimed at assistance dogs (loosely fitting into the working dogs category) and is therefore VAT free. It costs me £30.30 for a 12kg bag which lasts 2 months. This equates to 50p per day for my 20kg lab (10g per kg of dog so 200g per day). It comes in either chicken and brown rice or lamb and brown rice. It works out much cheaper than the standard varieties which are around £50 for a 15kg sack.

I have looked at other foods recently and my supplier keeps trying to push his own food but at £24 for a 15kg bag (which sounds cheaper until you realise you have to feed double the amount) but it just doesn't compare with Burns. I prefer to avoid wheat, maize, artificial colours etc. and refuse to use foods that sell cheap but use lots of fillers so that you need to feed larger amounts which just results in more poo.

Skinners didn't suit Coco.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts