Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**Update: 21 Sep 2009: Oldies Club is now looking for a permanent foster home for Charlie. He has sadly recently been diagnosed with having CDRM which is expected to progress over the next year or so.

Coupled with some other health issues it has been decided that Charlie is not fit enough to rehome so we are desperately looking for a long term foster home where he can live out the rest of his days.

If you think you can help please email [email protected]**

I think Charlie sounds wonderful :love7:

Charming Charlie is a 10 year old Labrador x Collie who arrived in his Oldies Club foster home in Wandsworth, London a couple of weeks ago.

This is what his foster mum has to say about him:

"Charlie settled in with us immediately. It took him about 24 hours to figure out where he’d most like to sleep and eat, but other than that it feels like he’s been here forever.

Charlie is more than happy to be left alone for a few hours at a time. He’s used to having three long walks a day and he sleeps for the rest of the time.

Charlie is very calm with all dogs, but he does like to say hello to all those he meets. He bonded immediately with our three year old Staffy and we often catch them chatting together in the garden or the park! Charlie would love to have a doggie companion in his new home.

We also have a cat and he’s taken quite a shine to Charlie. He often follows us to the park and loves rubbing his back under the dogs’ chins. Charlie is more than happy to let him to do that and we think he’d be fine living with another cat. He’s great around children too and loves the attention he gets from them, so we think he’d quite happily live with younger children.

Charlie can be strong on the lead, but I think he’s just rather impatient and wants to get to the park as soon as he can! We’re training him not to pull, so his new owner will need to continue with this. He does have some problems with his hearing, so we make sure he stays close and within earshot when off-lead.

Charlie seems okay travelling in the car, but he does whine a little to start with. I think he just likes to know where he’s going!

He’s an undemanding chap really, he doesn’t complain and isn’t phased by anything. He just likes to enjoy himself walking, snoozing, eating and playing with his toys. He’ll quite happily share his toys with other dogs too and loves a good ball game!"

"We got a dog bed for Charlie, but he doesn’t seem interested in it and doesn’t get on the furniture either. He prefers to sleep on the wooden floor where it’s cool.

Charlie should fit into any type of home, but he’d be especially happy with a large garden and nearby park where he can have a run. He would suit a multi-carer household with children and other animals around.

Occasionally Charlie suffers from wobbly back legs when we’re out on a walk, so we just lie him down and give them a quick rub and he soon feels much better."

Charlie has recently had a blood test which showed up a trace of liver dysfunction, so this is being monitored and a further blood test will be carried out.

Charlie has been neutered, vaccinated, wormed and flea treated.

If you are interested in Charlie, please refer to our Adoption Procedures for information about the adoption process: http://www.oldies.org.uk/?page_id=3411. You can then contact an Oldies Club rehoming co-ordinator as follows:

Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0844 586 8656

Charlie can be rehomed anywhere in the UK, subject to a satisfactory home visit, but note that you will be required to travel to the foster home to meet him.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
**Update: 21 Sep 2009: Oldies Club is now looking for a permanent foster home for Charlie. He has sadly recently been diagnosed with having CDRM which is expected to progress over the next year or so.

Coupled with some other health issues it has been decided that Charlie is not fit enough to rehome so we are desperately looking for a long term foster home where he can live out the rest of his days.

If you think you can help please email [email protected]**

Poor Charlie :(

Charlie will become an Oldies Club sponsor dog and needs to find a permanent foster home.

The charity will cover his vet fees for the rest of his life. Please get in touch if you can help :flower:

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Oh poor Charlie, my Maia has this now, but it doesn't stop them, they still want to live life to the full if not a little more limited.

I hope someone can help this poor old boy

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both :)

littlelab said:
Oh poor Charlie, my Maia has this now, but it doesn't stop them, they still want to live life to the full if not a little more limited.
Yep apparently at the moment he is doing really well. Still quite mobile and active and enjoying his walks. His back legs get a bit shaky if he overdoes things, but it sounds as though you wouldn't really know there was anything much wrong with him.

I really hope his permanent foster home is just around the corner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts