Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone feed Chappie (tinned)? My dog trainer says she swears by it, and that it's basically the same as Hills but a lot cheaper! After being neutered yesterday Truffle has been given a few tins of Hills to eat and he's loving it and I fear he might turn his nose up at dry kibble now (aarrgh) so was wondering if anyone has any experience with Chappie (good or bad).

Would it be possible to mix some with his kibble and keep him on a half and half, or would this upset the balance of the kibble?

As I have no experience of feeding tinned meat any advice would be very welcome. Does it need biscuity things as well, or do you just feed the meat on it's own?

Many thanks

Cat and Truffle

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
I always keep tins of Chappie on stand-by for if any of my dogs get upset tums. It works a treat - I sometimes mix it with boiled rice if their stomachs are particularly bad.

It's a very bland food. However, I doubt if you'll have any trouble returning to your normal kibble. I personally don't mix the 2 on a regular basis as I think that dried food is a 'complete' food, and so mucking about with it in any way is likely to upset the balance.

Becs

?

·
0 Posts
I've fed Chappie from time to time.

I don't really hold with this "Complete" food thing and mine have had it with either kibble or mixer biscuits. I know lots of people feed it on it's own too and their dogs thrive on it.

It is a brilliant food for sensitive tummed dogs (as long as they are not allergic to fish obviously) and I know many vets used to recommend it.

I wouldn't like to say it was the same as Hill's because I think it is probably a far simpler food, however I would not hesitate to use it again if I needed to.

A

·
0 Posts
I'm the same as Becs and always keep a couple of tins in the cupboard.

We started doing this after my vet recommended it after Rueben ate something he shouldn't have :roll: and ended up with an upset tum!

He loves it, but we have no trouble with him going back to his ordinary kibble once he is back to his normal self.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
When Luna went through a not-enjoying-dry-kibble phase I used to mix a spoon of wet food in for a while. I gradually weaned out the wet food. She's quite happy to just have dry kibble now although sometimes she finds a nice surprise in her bowl sometimes when she's a good girl!!!!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've just started feeding this to Truffle, who did turn his nose up at dry kibble after the lovely tinned meat from the vets after his op (fussy pooch!). I've never seen him so excited about food - he is positively quivering with excitement when he hears the dish come out, and he's having real trouble obeying a 'leave it' command when we put the bowl down - he was never like this on kibble! Plus it does seem to be firming him up a bit as well - I always thought I would just have to accpet loose poos forever but it appears that there is a solution!

I get it from Asda, £1.23 for a 1200g tin, which we are currently making last 3 days so as to finish up the kibble mixed with it.

Cat and Truffle

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I use chappie too.
Diesel has a delicate tum and this suits him really well.
I use half a baked bean size tin mixed in with some wainwrights and i've had no problems since. :D

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have been using chappie since Ruby had colitis like symtoms, and mix it with the Hills i/d kibble which the vet wants me to leave her on for a month. Ruby is loving her food now and gaining weight and her poo's are so much better :)

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
My Mum used it exclusively for years for all her dogs, I have used it for Jet almost the whole of his life, he is nearly 12 and he wont eat dry food. He is in Prime condition according to the vet. He wont eat the chicken version though :roll:
My only problem with it is I cant stand the smell....
My other dogs eat dried food as the do like it and its so much easier and quicker even when I weigh it for the girls

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Well - I stumbled upon this thread this morning - and thought I'd give it a try.

Bentley gets so bored with his food - he'll push his bowl about until it all tips out - almost like having a tantrum and if he could, he'd say "I'm NOT eating THAT!" ........but we've always had to be careful what we've given him as he is prone to soft stools.

He's been on the science, he's been on the wainwrights ..... and tonight .... I've just dished him up some chappie!

OMG! He nearly mugged me for it!!!!!!!!!! All we've gotta do now is sit and wait for it to appear out the other end - lol - fingers crossed it agrees with him. 8O

I

·
0 Posts
LOL! Tess loves Chappie and will do a dance round the kitchen if I get a tin out :lol:

Hope it agrees with Bentley - I keep tins in the cupboard in case her tummy gets upset (or if I run out of food :oops: ).

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
LOL! I love it when they do that lol ..... I really hope this agrees with him ..... he ate it - gave out a huge burp! and is now asleep - he's either very content - or I've killed him! (joke lol - he's just looked over at me lol) xxxx

·
Registered
375 Posts
My last lab did well on Chappie as it was recommended by my vet.My lab had severe attacks of Pancreatitis and this food worked well for her and I found it was much cheaper than most dog foods.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Gwennie - did you mix it with anything?
I mixed it with a little bit of the wainwrights we have left over - We have a new pup coming in the next week or so (Bentey's son) and I wonder how old he'd need to be before I tried him on it also? xxx

·
Registered
375 Posts
Rio.No I didn't mix it with anything as vet told me not to.He said it was best on its own and not even to add any human food to it either.I always used the dry one with a little water added to moisten it

·
Registered
375 Posts
Rio just to add.I am not too sure about feeding it to a young puppy.There may not be enough of the requirements in it that a puppy needs.Hopefully someone with more experience will come along to advice you about your puppy

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Thanks Gwennie ..... I had already got the tins from Tesco this morning - then walked in to Pets At Home to get something for my sons tropical fish tank and aw a great big pile of the chappie dry food bags.
I wonder which would be better? Dried or tinned?
Judging by the way Bentley almost even ate the dish - the tinned certainly seems like a winner! But the decision will be made when we see what he does in the garden I suppose. I guess they are all different.
I did buy a small bag of pedigree chum mixer biscuits - to use when the wainwrights bag is empty - so again, we'll have to wait and see the results a 2nd time on that mixture.

I defo wouldn't put a new pup on anything other than what it should be on .... but was wondering, when he's old enough to go to adult food, whether I could start to introduce it to him then? xxx

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Rosie was on Chappie tins for well over a year; I must admit the smell did it for me in the end and we gradually phased it out.

My parents Goldie was fed on Chappie all his life as he had a very sensitive tummy and he did really well on it.

The other problem I had with it however, is that my porkie-boy cat Lewis tries to eat it, which doesn't go down well with Rosie :lol:

I didn't know they'd released a complete dried however; does anybody else have experience with this?

·
Registered
737 Posts
My westie was fed on the tins and was great on it she has bad skin and helps with that we used to mix dried chappie in with it but TBH she was better on just the tins . The only reason I have just moved her to natures diet is I couldn't stand the smell :-(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts