Labradors Forums banner

chappie. is it bad for your dog?

9K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  ozzysfamily 
#1 ·
is chappie bad for your dog?

ive not seen that anyone uses it except me.

please share your knowledge.

i was advised by a vet years ago to feed chappie, have i missed something?

thanks

#2 ·
Jo
Its down to ethics, there is a thread on here about pet food companies that test their food and treats on the animals and then dissect the dogs and cats in the name of scince and nutrition, I am afraid many of the common ones are on the list (i will not name in case if liable). So many of use shoose to feed our dogs on more ethical food, if you are after wet food that has no additives and wheat etc then try Butchers tinned.

I now use Burns which I find is excellent and more economical when you have 2 dogs but its persobal choice.

#4 ·
Jo, I think it's a perfectly good food. Years ago, before these new 'hypoallergenic' diets were produced vets used to recommend Chappie for dogs with sensitive digestion. I have used it in the past with good results on a dog with sensitive digestion.
If you're looking for a good wet food that is produced by a company approved by the BUAV, then I'd go for Naturediet
regards
Jenny

#5 ·
Jet has eaten Chappie for almost all his adult life om recommendation of both my VEt and my Mum who never used anything else.!
Why were you advised by your vet in the first place?

If you want to change and havent got a fussy eater it shouldnt be problem. Though I would have though changing it gradually as recommended would be a good idea or mixing present food with new.
As any new diet will be a lot different- mixing from a up to date one to another up to date one will be less tricky due to basic ingredients being similar. Chappie to Burns etc could be the equivalent of a bread and milk meal to a cordon bleu meal.

MY Lab Jet would rather starve than eat any of the ethical foods mention by BUAV approved suppliers.
I decided after consulting my Vet- who doesnt supply the usual science plan or IAMS types anyway that his health comes before my conscience.
Willows a good girl and will eat anything!! No ethical problems there and I am going to try her on something else soon.

Its a very old type dog food and still good for dogs with delicate digestions- very basic so there fore less likely to cause upsets.
Todays foods are state of the art . Due to the basic nature of Jets diet I supplement glucosamine etc for him as he is now 7and 1/2

#6 ·
As a pressure group I am very anti BUVA and feel they have axes to grind. I dont trust them or anything about either them or their pals, Animal Aid! I think if the BUVA were agains some company then I would buy it on principal. I rank these people alongside the cretins who dug up that poor dead lady's body!

Regards, John

#8 ·
i was advised about 8 odd years ago when my other lab had serious upset tummy from other dog foods. my vet told me to feed him this, not just to help upset tummy, but for long term as it was the best food for dogs, period.

we use dry food thou, bear has been on it for a few months now. I made the decision as he was v loose on everything i tried(2 types), so rather than keep messing his insides about, put him on chappie dry. Hes been perfect since.
does this food need suplementing then?is he not getting all the nutrients/vitamins etc he needs at such a young age?
untill 6 mths he was on hills.

any advice/comments?

#9 ·
The ingredients are on the bags- you can compare when you go to the pet shop thats what I did recently when I wondered is Willow was getting enough in her food for her hips.

Chappie dry is 'newer' so I 'assume' it will take into account current thinking on additions over the tinned variety

#12 ·
I have recently put Ozzy on chappie due to runny poohs. As it is fish based the protein is still high but not to strong on his tummy and yes it has helped alot. Alot of these new dry foods are good but for some dogs like my Ozzy they are to rich. So I think Chappie is a good choice if you are having probs with some of the other foods. I don't think that because it is cheeper it means it is no good. Ozzy looks great on it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.