Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pup is nearly 6 months and poos and wees over night inside the house. We have been away for a week and she held every night ..success. First night back home she is back to old routine. Any advice??

·
Administrator
22,241 Posts
It's obviously a habit. This is often the case when the training has dragged on. From what you say, holding on through the night is not a problem. Are you using a crate?
If so what size?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. We were using a crate but as she messed this we moved to a bed.and gave her free reign of the kitchen at night. I suspect this is where we went wrong We are planning to move her sleep location to a utility room in the house to see if this works. Do you think this is a good idea? Her crate which we do use for the car ia 52 x 56 x 74 cm. She holds fine during the day. And as mentioned whilst on hols she didn’t go all night any night.

·
Administrator
22,241 Posts
Yes, a new overnight location could work as it did while you were on holiday.

A 74cm (30 inch) crate is a bit of an in between size, may or may not be big enough for a 6 month bitch. I usually start with a 24 inch (61cm) crate. This does not last for long before I swap for a 36 inch (91cm.) I find the smallest crate, within reason helps with overnight house training. But dogs vary greatly. Before crates became popular My Mandy was clean within a week and away on holiday in a caravan with us within 3 weeks, where Beth took at least 6 months. Since using a crate Amy was clean and lasting all night in 3 days. Chloe took a bit longer taking 5 days. So there you are, less than a week to 6 months, all with the same kind of training. But although Beth took a long time to get the idea, once she did she was 100% for the rest of her life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts