Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Ive made the final decision and Im going to change Sonny over from Royal Canin Lab Junior over to Simpsons Premium.

The only thing is Im not sure whether to go for the Sensitive Range and which flavour I.E. Salmon, Chicken, Duck or Lamb with Potato. --- Or go with he 80/20 Range with Mixed Fish/Chicken/Turkey i think.

--- Ive read that the 80/20 theory can be too much protein, but if it is too much for him how would I know? (Like would his poos just be contentiously loose).

--- Regarding Flavour, Ive got a 3-4 weeks of RC left and I was thinking about getting a 2kg Trail Bag of Simpson Sensitive Range in the meantime just to give him a taste test... But how could I test it out without affecting him - would I have to mix it into a few meals or could I give him a full simpsons meal for day breakfast and RC for other two meals of the day ?

--- Regarding weaning over... How many days are recommend; Say a week or more ? And Do I just mix the both food together and gradually up one and lower the other ?

Thanks,
Ross

?

·
0 Posts
Regarding weaning over... How many days are recommend; Say a week or more ? And Do I just mix the both food together and gradually up one and lower the other ?
Has he got a sensitive tum? If so then I* go with adding a little of the new food to each meal and gradually reducing the old food over a period of about 7-10 days. If he hasn*t then I*d just put the new food in his bowl and not bother weaning. This is what I do with my lot, but they have guts of cast iron. 8)

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I'd go with the sensitive range to start with. I use the salmon the duck and the lamb and just mix them all in a big tub :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
_Sam_ said:
I'd go with the sensitive range to start with. I use the salmon the duck and the lamb and just mix them all in a big tub :)
Oh cool, so if I bought two flavours I could mix and match his meals like chicken on afternoon and salmon fur tea ??? Etc

How many grams do you feed?

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
To answer your questions
- I have no idea on too much protein symptoms

- I would give him a few bits and test his liking of it by speed of hoovering. Then give him 3 quarters normal food, and a quarter new food for a couple of days and check he is eating/liking it.

- Yes to the gradually weaning him onto it. If a few days of a quarter food goes well, up it to half and half meals for a couple/few days and then 3 quarters for a couple/few days. If tum becomes unsettled at any stage then keep at that mixture level for an extra day or so to see if it settles and if not then revert back to old food.

2kg bags are a good idea to trial or most companies will send you a bag or 2 for taste testing for free if you contact them.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Trial bags are a good start. I mix my flavours all in same meal :) with no issues altho I trialled in each type seperately to make sure they were ok with each one.
To give an idea my middle dog Finn gets 225 whereas skinny min jed gets 350 :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Milo was on a high protein food and I swapped him as he was hard to keep solid on it, As he wasn't solid anyway I went straight over to Wainwrights and he was fine after one day. I then used up the rest of the other by sticking about 20% in one meal until it was all gone which never bothered his tum.

I did change from a small puppy kibble to a larger one (at about 5 months) later on as he was getting regurgitation issues as he ate the small kibble too fast no matter how we tried to slow him down.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've ordered 4x Trail Bags for a tenner at the moment to taste test him on which flavour he seems to go for first and favours.

Does Simpsons have a specific scoop?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I received the trail bags of sensitive range and he attacks every flavour - salmon , chicken , duck , lamb -- so still insure which flavour to buy.

Would I be okay mixing all these flavour trail bags together and weaning him over say a 10 day period and then having him on one flavour ?

Il need to get h weighed today but need to enquiry how much to actually feed him, I think he's 20kg though and currently taking 370-380 of royal canin a day no problem.

·
Registered
588 Posts
You could do but personally if he likes them all & his stomach seems up to the change I'd simply get a bigger bag of one flavour, stick him on it & see how he goes.

If wanting to wean then by all means do that....... Personally I'd try swapping onto a bag of the Salmon & Potato but only because of my preference to feeding Salmon content kibble....I've not fed Simpsons myself.

Whatever is left can be chucked/mixed in later or used as treat/reward kibble.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea suppose I could keep trail bags with different flavors for treats and kong sect.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wanted to update this.

Although I gave the trail bags of simpsons sensitive a test and he liked them, but I liked the idea of 80/20 range they also offer.

I had been going between the idea of Millies Wolfheart and Simspons 80/20 which are both seem very similar ingredients wise but simpsons protein was a bit 7% higher being 38%.

So to test the waters on the 70/30 - 80/20 range I opted for millies wolfheart countryside and he loves it. He's been eating 100% for 5 days now so early days but what a difference when it comes to digestion - I've had poo troubles with him since day 1 being irregular and inconsistent with sometimes 1 poo most tines 2 poo and every so often 3 poos a day on royal canin -- but now he's down to clock work already, with 3 poos that's 10x better looking in consistency for last 5 days (sounds weird but you know what I mean£

happy so far but still early days I guess but I do plan to kepp variety and go between flavours and maybe even between simpsons every so often.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Glad he's doing well. I have fed the 80/20 Simpsons. Have never had an issue with the protein level as all 'good' protein.
I just can't afford to feed all 3 on it and I can't be doing with one on something different. So hence I feed the potato n meat one) sensitive range.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
_Sam_ said:
Glad he's doing well. I have fed the 80/20 Simpsons. Have never had an issue with the protein level as all 'good' protein.
I just can't afford to feed all 3 on it and I can't be doing with one on something different. So hence I feed the potato n meat one) sensitive range.
Thanks, on the plan now of just slow upping the feed dosage, currently on 400 a day which according to his 20kg at 6 months might actually be spot on.

Yes certinaly Sam, the 80/20 is just over £15 more and I myself would class it in the high expensive range even for 1 dog neverminf affording to feed 3 dogs on it.

Regarding 80/20 Mixed FIsh and Millies Salmon 70/30 .. Simpsons anyway is probarly the better quality ingredient wise with it having less fresh and more 'meal' fish - from what I'm learning.

Same being price, I do plan to go between the two every so often on the principle of variety.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
You know you get a discount if you join the breeder scheme for Simpsons? You don't have to prove you breed dogs, you just fill in the application.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Under the breeders scheme, a 14kg bag of 80/20 is £44.80, and a normal 15kg bag of duck and potato, is £29.80.

When I had Tau's litter, I weaned them straight onto adult lamb and potato, which was £33.20 for a 15kg bag. They all did brilliantly on it, and all except Zasa and one other pup have been kept on Simpsons.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
The scheme is for breeders and working dogs I believe so it's minus the vat? I use the scheme as mine work

1 - 20 of 20 Posts