Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I planning on changing the food which my breeder is feeding my puppy. I pick him (Buddy) up on Sunday, he'l be 9 weeks old. The breeder is currently feeding him Asda's own Puppy food, however i wish to change to a better brand. How is the best way to do this? I'm planning on letting him get settled for a couple of weeks first before i change.

Does anybody have any recommendations of which food to feed Buddy?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Asda`s own brand isn`t that bad really, I brought up 4 dogs on it and 3 of them lived to 14 and 15 years old (4th is still alive but fed on barf now), but if you are going to change Buddy`s food, letting him settle in first is a good idea, even the change of water can upset their tums for the first day or two.

The best way of doing the change over is to start off with a small amount of new mixed with old, do with over a period of 7 to 10 days replacing a little more old with new until he`s changed completely :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi,

My pup was on Beta when we got him, and I fed that for about 6 weeks but it made him very windy!!! I've changed to Skinners Field and Trial puppy, which I've found much better for Truffle. I buy it online, but you can get it from agricultural feed places - it's not in pet shops or supermarkets.

When I changed I did it over a few days, replacing one handful of old food with new per day until he was on just the new food (so day one was one handful of new food each meal etc). Then I fiddled around with the amount that he needed.

Hope this helps, and post piccies when you get him - we all love a cute puppy piccie!

Cat and Truffle

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
Hi there. Welcome to the Forum.

You will receive 101 different recommendations with regards to food from 101 different people. Not every food suits every dog (or pocket :wink: ) as such some people will have had a bad experience of one brand and good of another. My own personal recommendations from experience of feeding them are: Arden Grange, Burns, Skinners, Royal Canin, James Welbeloved.

You are right to let the puppy settle in for a few weeks before changing their food, although the current brand may not be the best quality etc. it is what your puppy will be used to and as they have lots to deal with and adjust to when coming into their new home anyway, keeping them on the same food will give some consistency and familiarity to them. When the time comes to change the puppy over to your chosen brand, I would time it so that you start to mix the current food with the new for a few days, gradually increasing the amount of the new brand and decreasing the amount of old food, until it is all new food. I usually do this over a 5-7 day period.

HTH - Good Luck with your new puppy! :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi

When we picked up our puppy at 7 weeks the lady was feeding them on WAG adult food and we wanted to change her to puppy food. We did the mixing it up for a few days but started from day 1 of her being home- starting about 80/20 old/new and then gradually reducing the Wag but in fact what we noticed was that she started picking out all the new food - Ped Chum Large Breed Puppy and leaving all the old of her own accord :) Was v easy transition actually and we were fortunate that she had no upsets - just obviously loved the taste of the puppy food more so moved herself onto it :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Jess was on Beta puppy and it didn't seem to suit her...so we're now on Wainwrights - Pets at Home sell it......and touch wood........she seems a lot better - does claim to be hypoallergenic and suitable for sensitive tummies. As Jess was really not well on Beta, I skipped a dinner and then popped her on boiled chicken and rice for a couple of days (and some goats milk bio yoghurt which I read about on here, to settle her tummy) and then started adding in the Wainwrights over a few days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts