Labradors Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been training Harvey at home and he is doing well with his commands, i spoke to the trainer on the phone today about starting classes and i am sure he will be using different commands to what i use, eg.... when throwing a ball i say "fetch it" well apparently it is the wrong command,its been a number of years since i took my other dog to classes and i can't really remember all the commands, can someone tell me the basic commands used in classes please.

Mandy and Harvey

G

·
If he already understands the commands you're giving him, then I would stick with them. It doesn't matter whether you say "Fetch it" or "Sausages", as long as the dog knows what's required of it. :wink:

I don't use "Heel", I use "Close", I don't use "Fetch", I say "Get it" and to be honest most of what I'm saying it pretty irrelevant anyway, as most dogs work much better with Non vocal (hand/body signal) commands anyway. :wink:

So don't worry too much about it, there really are no RIGHT command words, only right commands :wink: .

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
i use whichever commands suit me. As the trainer explains something, just do the same but substitute your word :D

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
I would use whatever you already do and feel comfortable with

.....but some trainers aren't very flexible. I don't use all the 'proper' handsignals for Basil as we made them up as a pup. Naturally I wanted to use the same for Nellie as OH will never grasp a new 'language'....our trainer couldn't understand why i would want to teach hand signals I knew to be wrong :roll:

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
We use 'wrong' hand signals and 'wrong' command words!!!

Surprisingly enough though Luna and I know what we mean!! I'd stick with what you and the pup know and find easiest rather than start changing words as the others have said. :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it either. Our instructors were always keen to point out it didn't matter what word you used as long as it was associated with the action you wanted.

I always used to use 'flat' instead of down - mainly cos Archie was such a pain for jumping up when he was a puppy and FIL was always telling him down for that. The only times people would get picked up on for commands was for WAIT and STAY. STAY was when the dog would have to remain where it was until you went back to him, WAIT if you were going to give it another command shortly (recall etc).

I'm going to start taking Jake in September when they start back up again, we want to do our Good Citizens Awards!

Sal

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I'd say the same as others as long as he understands it doesn't matter what word you use. I will also say though that it is possible to change a command word if needed, especially with a young dog, we taught Theo heel but we've recently changed to use come in as Theo and Heel sound very similar and saying Theo Heel can be a bit of a mouthful.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I echo what the others have already said, there are no wrong words (or hand signals), what matters is that your dog understands the command and correctly achieves it.

In fact, I'd even go one step further and say that I wouldn't be happy to undertake training with a trainer who says my commands are "wrong" and tells me I have to change the commands. Unless they have a VERY good reason (and I cannot think of one) then there is no way I would change the commands I had been using, it would just confuse the dog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts