Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

When we got Woody at the start of the month, he was 5 months old, on a diet of dry puppy food from Pets at Home. He seemed good on that. However, we changed it to Pedigree's dry puppy food as it was proving difficult to get to a Pets at Home store.

I don't want to put anyone off their dinner, but his number two's have turned pale and very sloppy, sometimes actual diarrhoea. I am a bit confused and concerned for the dramatic change.

He has been on Pedigree for 2 weeks now, and if it was due to a change in food, surely he should have got used to it now??? Any advice?

I take Woody to my parents each day, as they live on a farm, maybe he's getting some extra stuff there, hmmmm?

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi Martin

I am by no means an expert on dog food - however having had a lab who for the whole time we have had him has had an upset tummy I feel I can say something on the matter!!

Ok, when we 1st got Charlie he was on Pedigree puppy food, but our like Woody always had runny stools - it was described by our training school that feeding pedigree to dogs is like us eating mcDonalds every day - very un-healthly and full of rubbish that once in has to come out. :(

So, for the 1st few months that we had Charlie he was on Hills Science Plan for large breed dogs - this suited him until he was 7 months old then the tummy troubles started again so we began feeding him Chappie which he thrived on - but recently we have changed our dogs onto Burns food which is a natural food and I have to say they are both looking brilliant on it, nice glossy coats, clear eyes and much more energy ! 8O

Maybe its worth thinking about feeing something more healthy, like Burns and seeing if that helps?

Hope that helps a little?

Sarah

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Martin

Did you change the food over gradually?Because a sudden change can cause an upset stomach.I don't think that would last 2 weeks though.

I fed Buster on Hills Large Breed Puppy until he was 7 months then progressed to Hills Adult and he is doing well on it.

Your local pet shop should be able to order most foods in for you,if not you can get them on the net.

Hope Woody gets better soon.

Kev

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a bit of a quick change over to the different food, which I know isn't good, but the fact it seemed to go OK I thought it would be, well, OK.

Put the runs keep coming back. It is always really pale.

He was doing very well on the "Pets at Home" own brand, we changed the food because it was difficult getting to a "Pets at Home".

I'm surprised Pedigree isn't much good, I thought it was a reputable brand name, like Heinz is, not McDonalds. Oh well, you learn something everyday.

I've found this on the web, seems a good place:
http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/erol.html#11494x0&&http:%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2Fsearch?hl=en&q=burns+pet+food&meta=

Thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
I had a similar problem which ended up in trips to the vets. After feeding with rice and chicken I gradually introduced Hills for Sensitive Stomach. They thrived on that for 18 months now I've changed to Hills normal adult as the sensitve stomach stuff is hard to get hold of. They are still doing pretty well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody, I have ordered some Hills from a place on the Web.

For the first time ever he didn't finish his evening meal today, which is very very odd.

·
Administrator
20,707 Posts
Yogurt is a probiotic and can help replace the flora in the stomach which gets damaged in tummy upsets. Adding a little to the food for a couple of days should help. If you are still in trouble then it would appear that the food does not suit your dog and a change is needed.

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi John... since your mentioned Yoghurt.... must add i give yoghurt everyday ...i've noticed its helped in reducing the excessive shedding... I belive they cool the system....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been sick today, and not eating.

Hi all,

Woody is off his food since yesterday, he reluctantly had some breakfast, but has been sick today, bringing most of it back up. What should I do?

Is the Chicken and Rice meal I have heard mentioned the thing to do?

I have tried giving him a treat, he held it in his mouth for 10 minutes and has just dropped it, so this is very worrying.

Martin

·
Administrator
20,707 Posts
Any change from the norm is always a pointer towards a visit to the vets. Sickness is not something I get too excited about provided it is not repeated. Dogs are very quick at getting rid of anything which does not agree with them. Anything more than that though and the risk is dehydration.

As a rule of thumb, don't change food, which in the past has been ok, whilst a dog is being sick because you will then not know whether the dog really is ill or whether the change of food is making things worse.

Regards, John

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

A trip to the vets tomorrow is on the cards, I'd like him to eat some tea tonight though.

He won't eat or drink at all :(

·
Administrator
20,707 Posts
Just a thought, I've just noticed he spends his days on a farm. No chance there has been any spraying done?

Regards, John

·
Registered
676 Posts
Aw! Just reading through your thread.
Hope Woody is feeling better and that trip to vets goes well.
He looks such a cutie in his pictures!

All the best
Shelley and Holly

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All better now

Hi

I posted an update after taking Woody to the vets on Tuesday morning, but it isn’t here, got a feeling I posted it somewhere completely different, probably in an unrelated thread :oops: . I get confused on my PC, (got 17 apps on the go now) :? .

Anyway, I gave him some tea of Chicken & Rice on Monday, he loved that. However, he still seemed subdued for the rest of the evening.

Tuesday morning and he’d be sick in his bed. I had a look at it with my rubber gloves on, it contained a smooth round pebble, pink fluff from a tennis ball tug toy (which my sister had bought him), lots of pieces of stick, and something thin and curly, maybe a worm (I touched it and it moved really slowly). On the good side, it wasn’t a mass of undigested food, like the last time he was sick.

I tried feeding him the remainder of the chicken and rice, but he didn’t want to eat a thing. I took Woody to the vets, who gave him 2 worming pills (he said the curly thing was probably a tape worm), an anti-inflammatory injection to calm his stomach lining and a general check over. I also had a chip ‘fitted’ to Woody while we where there.

The Vet said he seem healthy, and it was good he has brought stuff up rather than it passing through. Instructions were no food for the day, while his stomach calmed. He must have been starving!

Breakfast on Wednesday morning of chicken and rice, showed he was back to normal as he chased the bowl around the floor. The spring in his legs has also re-appeared, as he likes to jump from one spot to another, rather than taking one step forward (he doesn’t up at people I mean).

This morning was a normal meal of dry food, which clearly showed his appetite was back!

Thanks for the advice and concern peeps!

By the way, never taken him to a vets before (we’ve only had him a month) and it came to £26, I felt that was very good value!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts