Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we first got Gillie as a pup, he was very itchy and we put this down to the field we were walking him in which had just been cut. I also changed his food from JWB to Wafcol Salmon and Potato which is grain free. The itching stopped and he has been fine and has moved back onto JWB no problem. He is a very fussy eater and also pretty lean so he has been having some white fish in his dinner. Last week as he had some very soft poos I tried him on some Chappie and the itching has just gone crazy again!

I know Chappie has a lot of cereal in so I am wondering if there are any 'less' allergic grains that I should be looking out for or alternatively any other grain free wet foods? The Wafcol adult gets really bad reviews so I wasn't keen to put him on it.

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
You could try Nature`s Diet, I believe that just meat with no additives, that will hopefully not give Gillie any problems :)

?

·
0 Posts
Butchers Tripe has no cereals in it. :wink:

Can I just ask, what is bad about Wafcol Salmon and Potato, as I know a couple of dogs who do really well on this?

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
I didn't think dogs could digest cerials anyway? There are a lot of gluten free complete foods out there though. A friend of ours has their dog on Hills I think but she's now looking into BARF.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
20% potato? I'm no expert but I've seen cooked spuds go straight through from one end to the other without being digested at all and aren't raw ones poison to dogs? Don't get me wrong, I have no knowledge of this brand and I'm sure that a lot of dogs work well on it.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it is a USA site so not all the UK foods are on it. Steve he was a little 'soft' on it shall we say which is why I gradually moved him back to JWB.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
With that much spud I'm not surprised 8O I reckon I'd be a little soft with that much potato and unknown meat 8O

Seriously though, a lot of pet food does contain a lot of stuff that dogs don't need and in some cases can't digest. Even Pedigree have realised that people want better quality food and are now advertising that they can trace the meat to the farm. We had a lot of problems with Jet, I'm sure that a lot of it was caused by the levels of protein in the foods as at 9 months, he was sooooooooo tall we almost thought he was part horse. With Shadow, we still used a complete food for a while and even now, Rose sometimes says we should go back to it because it's so much easier but we're sticking with BARF because we know exactly what they are eating, and in the case of the rabbits the dogs get, we know which field they come from. Almost everyone here will have their own ideas of what food is best and for their dogs, it almost certainly is. I always think of that old saying when talking to someone about raw food though, "As fit as a butchers dog" . . . . .

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have considered RAW but I have a few concerns. We don't have much freezer space and no room for a dedicated freezer. I'm not sure how practical it would be to get the food in small amounts. I am terrified of giving him his first raw bone, I know this is my problem and not his! I am unsure as to what balance of food and supplements he would need. I love the idea but the practice scares the bejeezes out of me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts