Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are ready to expand our family of 4 and looking for a Cavador. We cannot seem to find any UK breeders so I’d be grateful for some help please.
Thanks so much!

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
Sorry but I dont think this is a good idea. There is too much difference is the size of the breeds. A CKCS dog could not mate a Labrador bitch naturally without standing on a box, nor a Labrador dog be able to reach down far enough to mate a CKCS bitch. Add to that, the size of a Labrador penis would likely tear a CKCS bitch's vagina and any resultant pups would in all likelihood be to large to be born naturally. Again sorry, but I think this is a crazy mating by people with ££££ for eyes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s a fair enough point and possibly why there are no breeders.... I’ll do more research into the best family dog for us! I just don’t know where to start!
Thanks for your reply!

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
Think about what a dog breed was originally created for. This will give you some idea to it's likely character, it's thought processes. The guarding breeds, often originally bred to guard the flock, such as GSD's, often have a strong guarding instinct, not keen on strangers. The herding breeds, collies, are quite strong willed, dominant dogs. After all, they would be no use in their job if they accepted the sheep telling them to clear off!! The gundog breeds were bred to work with man, to accept his authority and to allow man to command him, having learned that by following the man's commands he is helped in his "hunting aspirations." And so on. Obviously some individual dogs within a breed more closely follow these traits, as born out by the fact that for example, some dogs from the gundog group become Field Trials Champions where others become couch potatoes! :)

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Just to add to what John has said, the problem when you start making random outcrosses to other breeds, are that you can't be sure whether the parents have similar genetic defects, that might, when they come together, cause a health problem. Good Labrador breeders use the health tests for the breed, and try, when breeding, to stack the odds in favour of healthy pups. This is nigh on impossible when using two different pedigree breeds. Also, part of health is the conformation of a dog, how it is built. Again, with a random outcross between two different breeds, you have no way of knowing how this might affect their health in that way, it's a complete gamble, and nothing any responsible breeder should be doing I'm afraid.

If you have a look on the Kennel Club website there's lots of information and even a little section to help you find a suitable breed, I'd have a look through that and see what sort of breed(s) might fit the bill, and take it from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts