Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

We are after some advice please.

Tilly has anti cat itus - I have never dealt with this before but we are visiting two people this month with the woofs who both have cats.

How would you deal with it? Would you just keep them apart or would you try and introduce them?

Tilly is the mentalist mutt on the planet lol makes Ruby look chilled out and calm 8O and chases anything that moves with a few squirrels meeting their maker thanks to her antics :(

Any experience or advice would be welcome xxx

?

·
0 Posts
You know what, as it's only visiting and not a permanent thing, I would just make sure they were kept seperate.

Once a Cat Chaser, Always a Cat Chaser in my experience, unless you go down some of the more aggressive routes of training. Even if they live with their own cats, they do still tend to chase others outside their own environment, especially if the cat runs, which of course most do if faced with a strange dog.

So I would just play it safe, either keep her on lead, or just keep them seperate. :wink:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
it depends how much control you have over your dog...
when i first introduced my dogs to cats...
they were on the lead, and lying on the floor, and they were not allowed to stand up....

evelyn

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EvelynH said:
it depends how much control you have over your dog...
The problem is when she is chasing little furry creatures there is no control, she gets tunnel vision.

Thanks jules xxx

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
She needs to meet my cat, she will take on anything. The local terrier had a reputation as a cat killer, it won't come anywhere near her, she beat it up within days of us moving here. All my dogs are in awe of her and if she is sitting in a doorway, they wait for her to move before attempting to go through. Most cats if backed into a corner will swipe, My Scrabble thought cat baiting a really good sport, one great smack on the nose and it was all over. Up until then she had only seen a black and white streak flit though the house and was desparate to 'get' it. Cat was too quick and it became a game of find the cat. When she found it . 000000...... ouch.
Sherry

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Luna met 2 cats when we visited friends with young lab pups. One cat steers clear and runs from all dogs. The other cat didn't like 'standing up and approaching Luna' but once Luna was pooped, calm and lying down the cat approached her and they both got to say a lovely hello to each other.

I think it depends on the cat and the energy state of the dog!! Luna always wants to say hi to cats and invites them to play but I'm afraid because of their tendency to run at her approach they are teaching her that they mean CHASE!!!

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
My cat 'invites' chase and just runs slow or fast enough to kjeep just out of mouth. Suddenly she stops and then the trouble starts.
I have seen a Rottweiler running backwards with her hanging on its face. I had to rescue it.
sherry

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and on the lead???
On the lead if she sees anything that will run from her be it sheep, cats whatever she will try her hardest to get to them.

she is a very highly strung girl, although very obedient.

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Although my cats and dogs are better than they were they aren`t perfect, CJ will set out to walk nicely then something grips him and he takes off, leading to the cat beating a hasty retreat over the stair gate.

Personally I would keep them separated or you may not be invited back to your friends places again :D

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
_Vicky_ said:
and on the lead???
On the lead if she sees anything that will run from her be it sheep, cats whatever she will try her hardest to get to them.

she is a very highly strung girl, although very obedient.
so before you try to introduce cat and dog..
your sweetheart should behave on the lead allmost perfectly...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts