Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please could you tell me how old my male black lab Mr T has to be before i can get him castrated (i know im a horrible mum!!) 8O

·
Registered
364 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi bertie
Nigel B has given some good links. Personally, I don't believe in routine castration, so my advice may differ from those who do, but if it is to be done I would prefer to wait until they are more mature, at least a year, if not 18 months.
HTH :)

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hello...

The thought of neutering makes my heart sink... Thank for the link...i'm gonna read a lot and then act i still have time.... pre-maturely at this moment i feel i'd be going against natures law if i get Frodo neutered( hez 4 mths)...But i guess time shall decide...Just praying for strength to make the right decision at the right time....God bless

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi
This topic has come up several times before in other threads under other names. Over here in the 'States, Labradors are very, very popular. The pounds and shelters are full of unwanted Labradors, and thousands are killed every year to make room for more strays and unwanted dogs. Also because Labradors are so popular, BYBs and puppymills produce many litters to meet the demand for cute little Labrador puppies that grow into untrained strays and unwanted dogs. Because they are indiscriminate in their breeding practices, the genetic defects and diseases that Labradors are prone to profliferate. The more common genetic problems are hip and elbow problems and progressive retinal atrophy.

Labradors need to be selectively bred. Over here many of the responsible breeders sell their dogs on limited registration which does not allow the dog to be shown or bred. This is known as "pet quality". They can participate in trials and agility but not bred.

Labrador rescue organizations and shelters routinely neuter the dogs in the care to prevent insdicriminate breeding. All of my Labs have come from rescue, and as part of the adoption contract were altered. Misty was altered at 4 years of age, Baby Girl at maybe 6, but we have since found out that she has PRA and wonder if she had been bred before she was altered. Red was altered at 9 years old or maybe 10 and was a good companion. Jack was altered at age three or four, and is a very nice Lab to have about.

While some people say six months is a good age, other schools of thought suggest 12 - 18 months to allow the dog to reach physical maturity. One could grow quite old waiting for a Labrador to mature mentally. There is a lot of information available by Googleling spay and neutering. There are several medical reasons in favor of altering as well as the behavioral concern.

HTH

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Thanks labdad... That was very informative....Its nice to learn the cultural differences in raising our cute devils..... Out here in India labs are found only as pets, one will never see a lab on the road.. But the main reason people even think of neutering is to handle the probs associated when the dog goes on heat...its quite a task to find them a good partner... But neutering is NOT popular here so far despite vets recommendation... I'm told out here neutering is done after 1-2 matings....I'm still buying time with destiny to decide....

·
Registered
69 Posts
We had Max castrated at 4 months old. From reading other replies, I know it may sound really young, but the vet recommended it doing it sooner rather than later and seeing as how we knew we would never breed him, there was no reason to wait. Course, here in California and likewise throughout the country, labs are really overbred and I'm sure the vet had that in mind in urging us to do it so soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts