Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am a bit ahead of myself and cant find a sticky on this so looking for advise. When Hudson got his boosters we were asked if he would be castrated, and this is usually done after they are 6months.

what is everyones view and when it best to get it done? He is still a baby just now so his em....plums.....are just coming in.

my last lab did not get castrated, he was an amazing dog but would sometimes disappear, jump fence when let out to the toilet and take himself for a wonder but this only started when he was 8 years plus, he also growled at strange men, but tbh never bit anyone so we didn't mind as you felt safe on a dark walk! But we are spending a lot of time and energy training hudson, will "puberty" effect this? Sam (previous full boy) was not really trained, just an amazing boy ♥

thanks in advance! Oh and he will not ever be used to breed, so that is not a factor!

·
Registered
140 Posts
There is loads of stuff on here about this. I think if you search neutering or castration you should find something.

We didn't have Jack 'done' until he was about 17 months and I would have put it off for a few more months but he had come across a couple of bitches in season and it had turned his head a little 8O . I didn't want to risk him running off in search of some fun!!

It hasn't changed him too much but he seems more focused when we are training (although that could just be because he's more mature - he's just 2) and also he's not wanting to mark everywhere now.

Hope someone comes along to give you more advice.

Karen and Jack

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Ask ten people and they will give you ten different answers ;-) Ask 10 vets and ditto... so its not a 'set in stone' thing anyone can answer. BUT for me, I see nothing but benefits except to the TINY handful of dogs they are so introverted and genetically nervous that castration MIGHT create them problems.... but 99% of pet domestic Labradors, walked in normal dog walking society and trained by normal people without endless dog experience *tend* to find nothing but benefits to castration for a pet and family dog.

As a pet dog trainer I urge people to do so, and tend to find nothing but improvements in the dog. for those who have to walk in public places I urgen them to do it as THEY can't control idiots walking bitches in season and it only takes one or two before boys, naturally, are 'on the look out' even if they have NO CLUE what mating actually is....

I believe there to be health benefits but others may not... but what isn't there can't cause problems ;-0

I believe actual castration to be good, and chemical castration to mess with the dog and be a very negative thing.

But what i do believe is talk of doing it at 6 and 8 months old is bad by vets and seeped in 'rescue culture'... so i personally say wait till around 12 months of age. BEFORE problem behaviours tend to develop, but after the dog has reached at least certain levels of maturity.

I can't think of a single negative. however it may not be for everyone. What i do know is those who leave it and leave it, then find a problem springing up, and go for it, find little improveent in the dog because he is, infact set in his 'ways'... so those who wait for a problem tend to be stuck with that problem, be that bloshiness, male aggression, ground marking, bitch hassling, posturing, escaping etc etc. So either get on and do it around a year of age, i say, or forget doing it for good...

;-)

Di

·
Registered
196 Posts
Di, what are your views on castrating working dogs? You have met my young yellow dog Harry (at Riverlily) and although he has no 'problem behaviours' as such and is a very switched on dog, I have always had my boys castrated, mainly for health benefits. Is this likely to reduce his drive to work (which is high)? He is 17 months now, I usually get them done around 18 months. I have no intention of using him as a stud.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
It is VERY unlikely to reduce his drive.... and could IMPROVE focus.... Working, pet, family etc etc I think its useful for all unless you have a burning desire to stand the dog at stud and are working towards such a goal and all that :)

The only thing that would deminish his drive would be gaining weight and bulk, and that REALLY doesn't have to happen... you just feed them a little bit less than the entires because, frankly, they are a tad more laid back usually so burn less off 'overthinking life' :)

Hi, by the way, i didn't *twig* you were.... Stragster ;-)

Di xx

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I was wondering the same thing a couple of weeks ago, but following advice from Diana and others on here, I think we will have Cooper done. The best argument for me is that it's one less thing to worry about! So if something happens in terms of behaviour, etc, you can remove that from the equation and as mentioned before you don't have to worry about people walking their in-season bitches.

I was planning to do it around 12months, but Cooper is still a bit 'small' in my opinion: 22kg but very slim, hour glass figure almost (he's 8 months now). How will I know when he has finished growing? His mum was on the smaller side, but I'm not sure about the dad as I only saw a picture. My friend's lab was a serial humper so she had him done at 10mts and he is quite small (albeit a bit overweight!)

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Well maybe give it another couple or three months if you want to see if he will grow on more.... he will bulk up naturally around 18 months - 2 years old and become a more 'finished man' physcially... but his frame will have been the same for ages, just muscle etc going on.

There is no *perfect* age because all are different. But if you are going to do it, I'd get it well out the way by about 15 - 16 months of age or to be honest the reasons for doing it *probably* aren't really there any more except good health. However it can 'take a load off' a dog at ANY age, its just patterns of behaviour tend to be imbedded by certain ages, and 'doggy male type stuff' tends to be something really settling in around the 14/15/16 months of age mark :)

The only bulk standard thing is WAYYYY too many people allow their castrated males and spayed bitches to get too heavy by basically feeding too much. Which is one of things which gives castration a bad name and its entirely the owners faults because they don't factor in that once castrated they need to do a lot less stressing and 'thinking' about life than their entire cousins ;-)

Di

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
It was a case of when with Ripley. We decided to get him done just before his 1st Birthday as he was beginning to run off and ignore us on walks. The timing was right as i wasn't working at the time so I had time to look after him post-op.
It hasn't changed his personality one bit. If anything he is ALOT more cuddly and loves his fuss. His urge to run over to every single dog has dramatically reduced (But not sure if this is because we have put the work in with him regarding this) and he is focused a lot more on me now.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How serious an op is it regarding "after op" care? Sorry if this is a daft question, we have my mother in law who is with him for a couple of hours each day while we are at work but I would take time off work after it.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Most boys are sore for a couple of days, need to be lead walked for 5 or 6 days and then don't know they have had it done - the recovery period tends to be more based on how long they take to throw off the GA than any repercussions of the op. I had one boy of ours who had infected stitches... but within the first day of the antibiotics he bounced back...

So as op's go, its pretty minor recovery wise unless you are VERY unlucky. Just always remember GA's make most dogs very vocal afterwards, pacing, whining, crying for a few hours - a day.... so don't think he's in pain, he will be stuffed with painkillers during the op, it will just be the after affects of the general anesthetic. :)

Di

1 - 14 of 14 Posts