Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm looking for some advice regarding the above.

I have a 20 month old Labrador. He is a mixture of *red* and black. He is ginger / sandy. He is very docile, stupid and always wants cuddles. Around other dogs he is very playful and shows zero signs of aggression. He has never growled or barked other than when trying to insight play.

The issue we have is he gets a little too humpy. With toys at home this is no problem but he is mounting other dogs, male and female. Fortunately he hasn't exactly grasped where to stick it yet so the humping tends to be shoulders and heads. Obviously this is embarrassing and we tell him off but he seems to like it rough so carries on.

My other half wants to have him neutered. I am very much on the fence. I would very much appreciate some 3rd party advice or discussion here.

We never intend to breed from him. Unfortunately he has an over shot bottom jaw, breeder didn't tell us and it went unnoticed by our then vet. Current vet noticed straight away and gave us the ok that he would be fine.

Many thanks

Mike

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
First off, although an incorrect bite could cause problems in the wild with killing and tearing food, it's never going to cause problems for the domestic dog. Lets face it, they are never going to need to kill their food.

I have to say, I personally do not have a problem with neutering, provided the dog has finished growing, and all my dogs, both male and female are eventually neutered.
Actually, testosterone related problems, humping and the like, are one of the few behavioural problems which castration might help. The testis are the main producer of testosterone, so the removal helps to reduce the "urge"

Regards, John

·
Registered
120 Posts
How long has he been humping? My boy started at 9 weeks old. Obviously it was not sexually dimorphic at that young age, for him. Humping often has nothing to do with sex or hormones. Girls hump too and so do neutered boys and girls. It's fun and they may never tie. Neutering is not a guarantee it will stop, especially if he's already been doing it for a while. It might stop it, it might not. However humping other dogs is a no-no. The other dog could be hurt (older, bad back) or hurt your dog if it takes a dislike.

I bought my boy a big teddy bear and encouraged him to hump it. He still does, at 10 years old and still intact. He has never, ever humped anything else. But he was only a wee, baby puppy, no guarantees on this either, that it will work the same for your dog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.