Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a Brazilian breeder that the labs descending from the Carpenny line take longer to develop and mature. Is that true?

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
It’s an interesting statement because the Carpenny line goes back through dogs such as C. Walpole to C. Rustina, C. Bonhomie, C. Carmague to Sandylands Sovereign of Suddie on one side and Lawnwoods Hot Chocolate on the other. From there both sides come back to Follytower Merrybrook Black Stormer! So there is really no reason at all why they should be any different to any other Labrador. So saying, some lines do take longer to mature than others. Is it inherited or environment? Don’t know!

Regards, John

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John, I also thought it was a strange statement. My knowledge regarding bloodlines is not so wide, but all lines are genetically interlinked in some way.

Talking about another line, I was having a look at the Poolstead line and I noticed that they have bred predominantly yellow labs so far. I've read somewhere that we shouldn't breed more than three consecutive yellow generations. Is that correct? With Poolstead we see sometimes even ten yellow generations. Regards,

Labrazil.

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
If you like to trace the lines back to their roots you will find just about every single Labrador dates back to Netherby Boatswain and Netherby Nell who were born in 1870!

As to the 3 generations yellow rule. Not really as long as the breeder knows what they are doing. Remember, Gwen Broadley bred a yellow line for years without problems, still producing great dogs. For the origins of that saying you have to go back in time. Many years ago yellows, because they were the product of recessive genes were frowned upon. I have a friend who still believes they are the work of the devil!!! It was thought all recessive ailments would come out in them. Completely untrue, that’s not the way recessives work and a black is just as likely to carry a recessive problem as a yellow. Be that as it may, yellows suffered as a result of that and when they finally began to become popular the Yellow Labrador Retriever Club was formed. As much as anything due to the neglect of the colour, in 1925 a separate breed standard was issued! Yellow dogs were so variable in appearance at that time and it is thanks to people like Gwen Broadley and Mrs Wormald of the Knaith kennels that the dogs finally began to become of a "Type". This yellow only breed standard continued right through until 1956 when it was finally decided that yellows could hold their own against all comers!

So you can see from that the thinking behind that statement.

Regards, John

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, each of your answers is saved for future study/research. One more amazing explanation. Thanks,

Labrazil.

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
You trying to worry me Jenny?

No, actually, although Ann is never in a rush to start training her dogs come on quickly, at least in her hands! She was working a 7 month old in my class a little while ago and it was brilliant! Far and away better than any of the others in the class. It makes it hard for me because it was really too young to put up into the next class but too good for mine.

My Amy is sired by one of her dogs, the one I had picked as a stud for Anna. (Which circumstances dictated was never going to happen.) But as Liz said yesterday, "At least Amy's puppies will be 1/4 your choice when you get around to mating her!" Of course, that is some time in the future as she is only 4 weeks old!!!

Regards, John

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You trying to worry me Jenny?
lol - no honestly :D

Just wondered as it was said in passing - Endacott Soames is my Jazz's sire. I believe Graham Roberts has done well with Raven, making him up to FTCH in one season and still a young dog.
regards Jenny

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hi all, Have not been in for a while. Interesting subject. Bailey, my yellow boy is by Carpenny Executor x Sh Ch Carpenny Rustina. He has been one of the easiest and most responsive of all my Labs in training. But he did go completely off the rails at around 8 months, more so than all my others. Typical teenage stage mutiplied by 10. But when through this stage, he came back on top and has matured into a very eager and keen boy. So from a personal view, I cannot say that his line has taken longer in maturity than any of my other Labs.

Kay

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
John,

I am sure everyone, I certainly am, is totally in awe of your overwhelming knowledge and eagerly awaits and digests your posts and reply's ....

.........but just an incy whincy tiny bit of me wonders if you should get out a little bit more ! :wink:

Excellent read all the same.....keep it coming....

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
Don't worry Rhoni, I get out enough. I load the car up with back issues of the KC BRS and sit under a tree in me Anorak. :oops:

All the best, John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts