Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if im being neurotic/worrying over nothing, so i hope someone can advise me...

After taking Carly for a long-ish walk (approx 40/60 mins) quite often she will start to limp, with it being her left back leg that seems to be the problem(?); it doesnt seem to bother her; in that i can feel/touch the leg with no reaction from her, it doesnt seem swollen or anything and the limp normally "disappears" the following morning...
she can also "creak" and take a long time to get up (like an old lady..) if she has had a "busy" day - she is 2.5 years (one thing we did know when we got her was 10-minute rule, and kept to it)...

I think the main reason i'm worried is i didnt get her from a (imho) reputable breeder, in fact didnt know anything about hip/elbow problems; dont know (didnt ask who her parents were :oops: ) - and recently did some internet research on the breeder who seems to have gone onto breeding labradoodles, and according to other forums a few owners have had hip problems..

if i take her to vet, will/can they investigate? should my insurance cover it? (if they wont and she does have a problem i would find the money somehow).

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Sorry I see this is the same as Mosey's post, I would have a look as supplements were mentioned that may be useful to Carley :)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update - took Carly to the vets yesterday as she was limping more than usual after our walk on thursday; and they reckon she has got a slightly inflamed gland on her back right leg and i've got some anti-inflammatories for now - but she did say it would be worth starting Carly on Gloucasimine - and rather than try and get me to "buy" some from them, gave me a free sample of what they use and said id could get them cheaper from the internet..

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Glad it doesn't seem to be anything too serious.

I just buy glucosamine from Tesco's and pop a bit into Indie's food a couple of times a week, but there specific pet supplements that do contain more than glucosamine, hopefully someone who uses them will post. I do use the green lip mussel thing, which if you google will come up with a few sites. And they also get a lot of natural oils (including fish and nut oils) in their diet each week, so I don't add any extra.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Oh Sharon, I'm so glad the vets were reassuring! Also how cool are they, giving you a free sample then telling you to go buy it cheaper elsewhere! I dare anyone to say "all vets are just out to rip you off" after hearing about your fab vets!!

I used to use green lipped mussel extract on my elderly BC Emma, who had arthritis. I also bought a huge tub of stuff off the internet which came well recommended from a friend and used to sprinke a bit of that on hr food each night, it was a specific joint supplement and I'm not sure if it was one or the other which helped her but she certainly seemed to get benefit from them both.

Did the vets mention anything about the hydro being of help to her? I'm guessing it would be the best sort of exercise (no impact)...

Ness

1 - 5 of 5 Posts