Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in a thread that Champion seat belts are good for the car. Is this the best way to keep the puppy secure in the car? For a young puppy, would a small size be okay? It’s for a dog 40-60cm and 4.5 – 16kg. What would you advise?

?

·
0 Posts
I know some people swear by car harnesses, but I've never had any joy with them. My dogs fidget and end up all twisted up in them, or try to get off the seat and end up hanging in the foot well. Many car harnesses have been proven to be as good as useless too.

My advise would be to get a crate for in the car, or put a dog guard up and put the pup in the boot behind it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
We had a harness when Cooper was little, but like Jules said, he would just get tangled up and I'd have to reach back and try to fix it. I also read that harnesses are useless at protecting the dog in case of accident - they only restrain the dog to the back seat.

Can you get a small cage and put some vet bed and blankets to stop him from being thrown around while he is little? How little are we talking? They get used very quickly to lying down while the car is moving.

?

·
0 Posts
Diana3 said:
If I got a dog guard, wouldn't I still need to use a harness while he's little?
I never have. As long as they have something non slip to stand/lay on, they have been fine.

I really wouldn't put a harness on a pup where you can't see him. One of mine tried to kill herself in her harness (twisting it around her neck then jumping off the back seat, so she was strangling herself). If I hadn't been able to see her and stop the car instantly, I doubt she'd have survived long.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. The puppy will be 8 weeks old when I pick him up. It sounds like a small crate is the safest thing for the car for the first year or so. So l need to get a42inch one with a divider for indoors and for the car would a 30 inch be okayor would he out grow it too quickly?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. The puppy will be 8 weeks old when I pick him up. It sounds like a small crate is the safest thing for the car for the first year or so. So l need to get a42inch one with a divider for indoors and for the car would a 30 inch be okayor would he out grow it too quickly?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

?

·
0 Posts
I have a 30" puppy crate and my Lab pups only fitted in it comfortably until they were about 5 months old....and they aren't big Labs, by a long chalk.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Until I can afford a bigger car (I have an old KA at the moment), Milo has no choice but to be buckled into the back seat with a harness. He seems to enjoy it! He either lays down and sleeps, or rests his head on my shoulder & does the classic head out the window pose!

It's not ideal though, I'd much rather have a car with a nice big boot he can stretch out in.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Always had (my) Milo in a harness and he is no trouble either in the boot as there are seat belt connections in the floor or on the back seat, He also goes in my Van and sits on the front seats with his harness no problem.

All he does in lie down and sleep while travelling 90% of the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts