Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well last week i managed to get a seconed hand "canny collar" to try on max as he is a "puller"
we have been using a halti for quite a while and this has made life a whole lot easier as it gives me more control over max. my only gripe with the halti is that it does tend to pull the neck to one side.
well this morning i used the canny collar and i like it very much :D
it is the same principle as the halti but because it fastens at the back instead of under the chin it stops the head from jerking to the side.
i found i only had to use gentle pull backs instead of a good tug.
max also seemed to enjoy the walk more and didnt try to paw it off as much as he does with the halti.
after half an hour walk i still have both arms in sockets, a smile on my face and a happy max :lol: :lol:
it was very easy to get on as he was already used to having a head collar.
i also like th fact that i did not have to change collars to put him on a long lead. just slipped the nose piece off and back on when needed.

how would i rate it 10 out of 10 :D

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got it straight on him paul as hes used to the halti :D no arm locks or pile drivers needed :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
lol Jane,

Just read this thread and have to admit to never hearing about this collar.

Tilly is on Halti, well I thought it was a Halti, tis so long since I bought it, but it clips together at back of head, with the controlling link under the chin. Buy yes, does pull / jerk to either left or right so dunno.... :D

She also paws a lot, but I found because she has a narrowish nose / trunk ! I could never get it to fit spot on everytime.

I have a hall full of all my disastrous attempts at walking, leads, collars etc and the halti was the best so far but am interested if there is a better one that would fit better, as she has got older and stronger she has almost become resistent to it and will pull against it, certainly at start of walk.

So where does the control come from if not under chin?

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi rhoni
the control comes by gently pulling the nose down which max responded to a lot quicker than with the halti which pulls to the side.
if you go on google and put canny collar it will give you a link to the company that make them.
i got a cheap 2nd hand one on e bay just to try it as they are pretty pricey. now it works i shall get a new one. i got size 4 which is very snug on max so i shall be getting a size 5 to give a bit of growing room.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Great.....thanks...

Is it nylon / webbing type material? What weight is Max? And does he have a wide / solid head ? Just to get idea of size needed........

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Jane,

Sorry to be a pain.... :(

Just looked at site.............certainly looks good, and def looks to suit Tilly better, my only worry is what size to get as their returns policy doesn't account for wrong size.
It does say for a bitch or smaller dog to drop a size...but it's an expensive mistake to make 8O
Does the collar have any room for adjustment ?

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi rhoni
you are not a pain :roll: after getting max in a head lock he measures aprox 18" round the neck. the collar length is 19" and has 4 holes to adjust length. max is on the last hole so as i said "snug".
i think the size 5 should be ok for him.
look on e bay cos i know there is a seller on there. could be a bit cheaper.
this is why i got a 2nd hand one to start as if it was no good it woulnt be such a loss :D

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Jane

Glad to hear you have got positive results from the Canny Collar. I currently have a Gentle Leader for Smudge, but he hasn't been out on it yet - just little trips around the garden, which gives us both a little dance as he tries to paw it off! Good exercise though I guess......for both of us!

I looked at the Canny Collar before as like you, I preferred the fact that it did not jerk their head to the side but was a bit put off by the price. I have also seen them on eBay and bid on one which was brand new and going very cheaply - but I got outbid!

All the best,
Nic
X

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol jules did the e bay bit for me so it could have been her bidding against you as i know she had a couple on the go :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Ok phew,

Just done a full hold and submission on Tilly and her neck is 18/12 to 19, depending on where you measure.....now my question is how does the collar length affect the muzzle section ?

As I said she does not had a broad nose so....would a size 4, that just fits neck be looser because of narrow nose, or does it not work like that?

My worry is getting a size bigger and the nose bit is way to loose ?
Does ant of that make any sense ? 8O

I don't spend this much time and thought buying a bra for myself !
Right price.....' they ' fit in it....bought ! :D

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rhoni
i would go for the size 5 if i was you as tilly sounds about the same size as max. the slack from the nose piece is taken up by the lead so that shouldnt be a problem :D

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Thanks Jane,

Just looked on ebay and only 2 new available and with p + P are only 50p and £1 cheaper than from supplier

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
maxsmum said:
lol jules did the e bay bit for me so it could have been her bidding against you as i know she had a couple on the go :lol: :lol:
Aha! Could well be Jane! lol! Not to worry, glad to hear it went to a good home!

How old is Max again? I have a feeling he is a similar age to Smudge (8.5 months). Think he might be a size 5 too (though will have to get measuring tape out!).

All the best,
Nic
X

PS. Rhoni - perhaps 'Pets At Home' could start a collar fitting service for dogs similar to the M&S one for bra's?!

PPS. Jane - was over in Huntingdon today walking his lordship, over Port Holme towards Godmanchester. Couldn't park in Godmanchester so carried on into Huntingdon!

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hi nic
max is now 9.5 months so just a little older than smudge. the size 5 is recomended for labs.
hope you had a nice walk. at least it hasnt been so hot today.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Rhoni - if I might be so bold, I think we do have 2 very big boys! lol!

Jane - it was a lovely walk, loads of other doggies around! Saw a black lab and a chocolate lab too. Thanks for the tip - size 5 it is I think!

All the best,
Nic
X

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a cupboard full of head collars and my Luke hates them all. This one does sound good but so did all the others...he just hates having anything round his muzzle, and lies down and is very depressed. :( So we just have to persist with stopping, walking backwards, round in circles etc. I suppose we will get there eventually but it is taking an awfully long time. :(

1 - 20 of 40 Posts