Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the forum so wanted to say hello and seek some advice.

I currently run canicross with my friend's Vizsla but looking to home a dog or puppy and very keen on labs (my parents and sister have labs).

I just wonder if any of you run with your dogs and how they enjoy it? I have seen some at events I have done but not so many as pointers and collies. I would look at a working type lab and if a pup of course wait 18+ months before running. I run mainly off road but do some road short road runs and local parkrun. My off road runs are usually distance (marathon plus) but at a slow pace and with run and walk so I am not a speedy runner. Would be interesting in views and any advice on choosing the right dog, obviously checking for good health testing especially elbows and hips.
Thanks for any advice or experience :)

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
I definitely don't run anywhere (unless they're calling last orders) but just wanted to say don't discount show lines, there are some more moderate examples that are quite capable of a run. I work my girl who is show/dual purpose bred, and she's certainly not slow, and her daughter is going to be even quicker from the looks of it. Zasa works beating during the shooting season, so is on the go for most of the day, and loves it, she's the one in my signature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely don't run anywhere (unless they're calling last orders) but just wanted to say don't discount show lines, there are some more moderate examples that are quite capable of a run. I work my girl who is show/dual purpose bred, and she's certainly not slow, and her daughter is going to be even quicker from the looks of it. Zasa works beating during the shooting season, so is on the go for most of the day, and loves it, she's the one in my signature.
Thanks for this, I have probably wrongly assumed working types were more athletically built. Zasa looks lovely 😀

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Thanks for this, I have probably wrongly assumed working types were more athletically built. Zasa looks lovely 😀
Zasa is now eight, but still very active, and I hope she will carry on for a few years working. But yes, there are lines out there that are good examples of the breed and that are capable of an active lifestyle. I have Zasa's mum, who is 13 1/2 now, and until very recently, had her Aunt, who made it to 14 1/2.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Hi and welcome.
Wow! My previous dog, an English Pointer, would have loved you. He could run all day! Saying that my now elderly Lab used to do a good job of keeping up with him, although lacked the speed of the Pointer. You should be fine with an active, fit and healthy Lab, just make sure at least one of the parent's health tests are clear for EIC (Exercise Induced Collapse).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi and welcome.
Wow! My previous dog, an English Pointer, would have loved you. He could run all day! Saying that my now elderly Lab used to do a good job of keeping up with him, although lacked the speed of the Pointer. You should be fine with an active, fit and healthy Lab, just make sure at least one of the parent's health tests are clear for EIC (Exercise Induced Collapse).
Thanks for this info. I love the look of pointers and see loads at events but not had any direct dealings with them, maybe need to do some research.
Good point about EIC, a friend has a goldie that suffers and quite debilitating especially if warm.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Another breed to have a look at, if you aren't 100% set on a Labrador is a foxhound. Have a look at Foxhound Welfare UK, it's a small charity, and the only one in the UK that deals specifically with foxhounds, any that end up in kennels for whatever reason. I am on my second rescue foxhound now, and they are real characters. In some regards I wish I did run, as Nettle would probably LOVE to be out running for an hour a day or so, but she's content with a walk and settling down into a ball to sleep. They are a bit like greyhounds in that they are happy to sleep all day, but given the chance to exercise they love it as well. I hire a field occasionally to take Nettle to have a free run, her only problem is that because she was found as a youngster straying, I daren't let her off lead in most places, as she would easily leave me standing and there is a lot of livestock in the fields where I live. She's also a food thief given the chance, but that's my problem as it only happens if I leave her the opportunity. But generally they are really good natured, they have to be, as you couldn't have a pack of foxhounds not getting along.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts