Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I felt a 'lump' on Cooper's shoulder. There's no pain and I can touch around the area while Cooper seems to enjoy the massage, but there's clearly something there. It's a very definite/clear shape, like a tiny tiny tube. It is right there under the skin and if I pinch the skin (away from the bone/flesh) I can clearly feel it between my fingers.

When I had Cooper microchipped the vet said it could move around the body. We did our best not to touch it while it was fresh, so I'm a bit surprised to feel it on his shoulder.

I popped into the vet this afternoon (Cooper is 22.5kg BTW!) thinking that a vet nurse could feel it and confirm that it was just the microchip, but they said I had to see a vet for a 'lump'... So I have an appt on Thursday, but just wanted to see if any of you have had experience of a microchip moving around, etc?

When he is sitting straight I can feel it immediately, right under the skin and over a 'bony' part, so wondering if it can be dangerous there?

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Luna's has moved from her neck all the way down and is very obviously feel-able on the top half of her leg. In fact... here!

I wouldn't be impressed at being made to pay a consultation fee to have a vet feel a strange lump only for them to confirm it's a microchip! Did the vet nurse feel it at all??

My only concern is whether it would be picked up by a microchip reader should she ever be lost so I get it checked periodically when we visit the vet and they've always managed to find it no problem without me indicating where it is. She's also been overseas and back with it there without problem. I think if it migrated to her tail I'd get her chipped with another one but where it is so long as it continues working I'll leave it be.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I don't know if they'll charge me the full consultation. They've always been very good to me and Cooper so we'll see. I just want to make sure that it is the microchip and not something more worrying and that they can still find it if he gets lost and needs to be scanned.

I think it's one of the vets I spoke to and she didn't touch it because Cooper was not happy to be there (didn't want to get on the scale, wouldn't come near her and even refused a treat from her (!?!?!)... OH took him for the last couple of vet visits, so don't know how he has developed that uncertainty around the vets...

Thanks for sharing your x-ray - pretty cool (hope everything else is ok on that x-ray though!)! That's exactly the shape I can feel, but it would be more to the front of his shoulder.

PS thanks to whoever fixed the typo in the subject line... Cooper does not have a micro 'ship' in his shoulder LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I think I'm tired... 8O :roll:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Diggers was in his armpit last time I felt it. I haven't felt it for a while so have a feeling it has maybe migrated further :/ I wouldn't pay a full consult fee to confirm it, if you're not majorly concerned can it wait until you have another reason to go?

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Max's moved a bit, but I never felt it through the skin - not sure I ever tried to either.

If you think it's the chip, surely someone at the vets could bring a scanner out to the reception area or outside even, rather than making you book a consultation?

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Our local dog wardens won't chip before 6 months in case of migration but I'd rather take the risk of it moving than lose my puppy. I have only met one dog with a slipped chip and that has gone down her chest between her legs.

I always get Coco checked when I go to shows where they are doing chipping sessions or have vet stands. I usually have it checked at her annual check up too.

I don't know why they just didn't try the scanner when you went in the other day, it would have located the chip so that you would know if it was the chip that you were feeling. (It sounds like it is). If they charge you a full consultation fee for doing nothing but checking the chip I would find another vet.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Mad that a dog warden doesn't chip until six months, when they are dealing with so many unclaimed strays! :(

As I said earlier, Max is the only dog of mine where I've seen the chip move and he wasn't chipped until after he came to us. I think things are meant to have improved over the years, in terms of them moving though ...

·
Administrator
20,503 Posts
John, When my older dog was scanned it was half way down his side!!
Some move all over the place, I know when we scan at eye testing. But when I mention it to some people in the veterinary profession I'm told, "It's only the old chips which move." and when I point out that I've seen it in pups of only around a year old I'm told, "You are probably holding the scanner too close and you have just loved far enough away from the chip for it to read." I really think that some vets are in denial when it comes to chips.

Regards, John

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
JohnW said:
Mmm, and my vet friends are still telling me that they dont move!

John :(
Here's her passport info showing it was in her neck at 2 months old:

to prove it moved!

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
My vet was telling me just last month where these micro chips can travel to, basically anywhere in the body. The only time they need replacing is if they stop sending a signal to be read.

·
Administrator
20,503 Posts
The only time they need replacing is if they stop sending a signal to be read.
And believe me, we find quite a few which have stopped working. So make sure your vet checks it every time you go. It only takes a moment but at least you will knowing it's still working.

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
JohnW said:
The only time they need replacing is if they stop sending a signal to be read.
And believe me, we find quite a few which have stopped working. So make sure your vet checks it every time you go. It only takes a moment but at least you will knowing it's still working.

Regards, John
I think there was a recall last year on one brand of microchip which had stopped working in many cases. They offered to re-chip dogs who were affected.

It's worth having chips checked everytime you visit the vet.

I think if my dog's chip migrated badly I would consider re-chipping because I would worry that anyone using a scanner would only try the top of the shoulders and might miss one on the chest.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We went to the vet this morning and it is indeed the microchip that I can feel. I asked if there was any risk of it being missed if he was lost and scanned. and she said nowadays they assume most dogs are microchipped and it's quite common for the chips to migrate so they will always give a very good scan. She said not to worry and before I even asked she said she wouldn't charge us for this. :wink:

That said, Cooper has developed a solid aversion for the vet so it looks like our walks are going to take us there on a regular basis to try and nip it in the bud. How boring. :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts