Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rueben has rolled in something sticky! :roll:

Have no clue what it is, it doesn't smell or have a colour to it. I've tried brushing it out but its not working!

Can I use Johnsons baby shampoo on him or does it have to be a proper doggy shampoo?

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
:? personally I wouldn't - I find some baby shampoos quite harsh and irritate the hell out of my eczema

Wouldn't a good hose down do the job or is it that bad?

Although I rarely bath mine, I always have a stiock of doggy shampoos to hand 'just in case'

Sue

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't tried just water but will give that a go!

Won't use the baby shampoo on him, if the water doesn't work then I'll be off to get doggy shampoo!

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it depends if he has sensitive skin or not. I can't even bath my Pood in Dog Shampoo because it irritates her skin, yet I have washed my other dogs in all and everything, from left over human shampoo to washing up liquid and they have been absolutely fine. :wink:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, not sure about the sensitive skin Jules. I've washed him down a couple of times when he's been muddy, but that was just with water.

Whatever it is he's rolled in is kind of oily/sticky/greasy so think it will need some kind of soap to get it off.

Don't want to leave it on him as I don't know what it is, which means if its something nasty it could harm him if he tries to lick it off!

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In that case I'd risk it with whatever you have to hand. You'd probably know by now if he had sensitive skin, as even without bathing him he'd have come into contact with something that would have caused a reaction.

I'd want whatever is stuck to his fur off asap, just in case it's corrosive in anyway.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jules.

Probably worth risking it with the baby shampoo then. He's never had a skin reaction to anything before so hopefully he'll be ok.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I've used it before, but just on patches to get rid of a nasty smell like you've got. Obviously don't get it in his eyes. Unless he's got ezxema or any problems, it shouldn't do any harm.

Yvonne

Hold my hands up to say I'm not an expert but we've never had any adverse reactions, and I've even used fairy liqiud before in an emergency. :oops: :oops: :oops:

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vonandruf said:
I've even used fairy liqiud before in an emergency. :oops: :oops: :oops:
:lol: I've bathed more dogs in Washing Up liquid than I ever have in Dog Shampoo. In fact I bathed my horse and pony in it many times as well and it doesn't half bring out the shine :wink: :lol: .

·
Administrator
20,994 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one Jules!!!!!!!

Like John's dogs Rufus usually has his dip in the brook, or lake round here, I rarely have dog shampoo about so in an emergency I use whatever's to hand.

Yvonne

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Hope you get whatever it off Rueben with no probs Anita.

I bought shampoo a year ago and didn't use it for about 9months! I was glad I had it in when she discovered the joys of fox poop!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Yes often used Johnsons baby shampoo on Meg when she has rolled in the nasties, does the trick and smells lovely :wink:

Di x

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
hope you got it off Anita, i have some doggie shampoo but its only for major emergnancies..lol

I did use baby shampoo on Madison once....yuk that smell was so meant for humans not doggies.....lol

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
I have used baby shampoo on Topsy, and never had a problem. I don't do it often, but she is a long coated cocker spaniel, and does need doing every few weeks, or when she has rolled in something.

Charlie almost never needs it at all.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I thought using the baby shampoo was preferable as that was all I had and I wanted to get off whatever he rolled in as I didn't know what it was!

Now, why didn't any of you tell me to leave his collar ON?!? :lol: :lol:

I thought I'd take it off as it would have taken ages to dry. So I squirt him with the hose, put on the shampoo, rub it in and he went into possibly the biggest bumtuck in history! :lol: So now, picture me chasing a dog round the garden trying to rinse off the shampoo!!

I have never seen him hooly so much! He went absolutely loopy, apart from when he stopped mid bumtuck, did a poo, then carried on! :lol: :lol:

I haven't laughed so much or so hard in ages!! :lol: :lol:

Ah well they say little things please little minds!!

Anyway, whatever it was is off now and he smells wonderful!!

Thanks everyone!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its funny too, he looks SO different without his collar on! His chest looks broader somehow.

He's had a collar on since the day he came home, (not the same one obviously! :wink:) we never take it off! He seems to like not wearing it though!!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
_anita_ said:
He seems to like not wearing it though!!
:lol: :lol:
When i take Diesels off he ges mad at me jumping everywhere and will try and fight me to get it back :roll:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts