Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when we pick milly up im planning on crating her, we have bedding all ready, just need a couple more fleeces any how the crate is 42" as its megs old one, myquestion is
Milly goes in crate but if milly and meg want to snuggle and sleep tog knowing milly has just come from mum do i crate em both? and keep door open to let meg in and out (but then milly will escape too) or make sure that millys in the crate and meg sleeps on outside in her bed and let milly squeel for meg????

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
We made a pen around the crate for Mambo, then when we had Skittle and she howled all night we took her from her own crate and put her with Mambo. The idea was that she could cuddle up or mambo could be near to her. Not another peep from that pup!! Tis only now (she is 2 1/2 now) sometimes they sleep together and sometimes they are apart!! Aw Bless their little sox :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks really cute when they are in big pen/crate mirror images of each other or lay 'like spoons'!!

Marianne

?

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't put them both in the same crate. What if Meg got fed up with the pup in the night, after all it's not HER pup?

My Mojo doesn't do snuggling with a pup until they have been here for a few weeks and Meg maybe the same.

Pup goes in the crate and either the other dogs are loose in the same room, or upstairs with me and pup is alone. I tend to cover the crate right over anyway, so it makes no difference, as the pup can't see out. :wink:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats what i was worried about that meg took a disliking to milly and started nippin at her and were fast asleep oblivious upstairs and yes crate will be covered so i see your point in they cant see out anywayi dont want to be taking milly out the crate in an open room as i was really pleased with the crate the first time round, just gotta be a strong mummy andd realise shes not whining for meg shes whining for her mum - which is the norm.....

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I wouldn't want to shut two dogs of any age in a crate unattended, it's a little space and there's no way for either of them to move away. Mine all snuggle up on the sofa etc., but they can move away from each other if they want to.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I would think it would depend on Meg.

We had Lora first and both Ben and Logie snuggled up to her from day one. Not sure that she was that keen but she was such a gentle soul she just let them. Both boys were excellent pups and never cried during the night and were house trained really quickly.

We weren't using a crate at the time though, they were in the kitchen.

When Lora was a pup she adored my friend's lab and she used to try and snuggle up to her. Sally is another gentle girl but she was just horrified about having physical contact with a strange pup. I think she would have had a nervous breakdown if she had been in a confined space!

I would think it would be a case of seeing how things go.

Eileen

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 in a crate is defo not an option! but i defo want milly in the crate as it worked fab for meg i rekon they will have plenty of time in the day to snuggle on megs bed if they both want to and its not a confined space either but i think lights out they will be seperated for peace of mind too, i dont want the kids up all hours and then the pups playin funny buggers a stoopid oclock!! :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Yeah I would crate Milly on her own , like you say they have lots of day time to snuggle up and then at least you are in control of the pupster :D thats what I did with pup number 2 anyway :D :D :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ben my 6yr lab sleeps in his own crate with the door open so he can come and go as he wants. Lotti my 15wk lab sleeps in her own crate (door closed) which is situated right next to Ben's crate - so she can see, hear, smell, etc. Ben. This has worked v well for both. Not so good for me as I currently have v little space in my hall - but it makes them happy :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts