Labradors Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Winston was really missing Dada yesterday... looked for him everywhere and didnt want to go for a walk until i made him go with treats... he was fine when we out on the walk but when we got back he started looking everywhere for OH and then moaned and went to sleep.... he didnt have any play or anything laast night!! just slept! I checked him over to make sure he wasnt in any pain, toliet is fine etc but he just looks so sad!! :(
He loves Dada very much...

So it got me thinking can dogs get depressed??

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I would say dogs can absolutely get depressed - when they are parted from their owners (for a long period I mean, eg permanently), when their owner or another dog in the family dies etc.

In your case though, Winston might be picking up on your own feelings - it sounded in a recent post as though you had been really upset about your OH being away and dogs can be very sensitive to our feelings :flower:

G

·
I'm not sure if they can get depressed but I am a firm believer that they pick up on your mood. I've had a nasty cold the last couple of days and Rueben has obviously known I'm not feeling right and feel a bit down. He's just been laying beside me and moping about sighing!!

I've just been reading your other post and you (quite rightly so) are feeling quite down at the moment so maybe Winston is picking up on that. On that note, so sorry to hear about your family dog Holly. Just think, 3 more sleeps until OH comes home. I know how you feel without him, my OH has to work abroad occasionally for weeks (sometimes months) at a time and it feels like a bit of me is missing. Pathetic aren't I? :oops:

Anyway, hope things start to get better for you soon.

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AngelaC said:
I would say dogs can absolutely get depressed - when they are parted from their owners (for a long period I mean, eg permanently), when their owner or another dog in the family dies etc.

In your case though, Winston might be picking up on your own feelings - it sounded in a recent post as though you had been really upset about your OH being away and dogs can be very sensitive to our feelings :flower:
Ahh that would make sense!! O dear!! i really need to pick myself up!! Winston is at OH grandparents today and he loves them so hopfully he will have a better day!! Than being with me!! But only 3 nights until OH gets home! And im sure things will be better tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do feel the same Anita, when im not with Alex its like i have lost my left arm!! :oops: :oops: I know i shouldnt mind the house to myself but its not home without him!! :D

G

·
AngelaC said:
I was about to say the self same thing. Some are more sensitive than others but most dogs will pick up on their owners feelings in some way and react by either copying/empathising or acting out of character, such as being naughty/mischevious when they are previously well behaved.

I think it could be a Pack Animal thing, as it isn't just dogs who behave like this, horses are the same. They very easily pick up on our moods and change their mood to suit.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:( I feel awful that Winnie has been picking up on my awful sad mood!!
BUT i promise as soon as i pick him up from grandmas im going to change!! Onwards and upwards!
I didnt really think about it like this!! Poor Winnie Woo, Mummys been selfish!!! :roll: :oops:

I cant wait to see Winston face when Dada is home on saturday! I reckon his tail might fall off!! :lol:

G

·
Don't feel bad, you can't help the way you feel and with everything you've had to deal with this week I'm not at all surprised you are feeling low. Give Winston lots of love and cuddles and he'll do the same to you.

When my OH has been away when it gets close to him coming home I find it really helps to plan some nice stuff for when he gets back. Plan a nice meal, spruce up the house, buy yourself a new outfit and just look forward to seeing him.

Not long now!!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well ive brought Winston a new Tag and Collar as hes grown so much... he collar was get to small!! :D So his outfit is complete!! :D
OOOooo new outfit for me!! Im liking that idea!! :lol:
Im going to cook him a roast dinner on sunday and i have brought him his Fav cookies from M & S!! :D
And ive made sure all those jobs that hes been moaning for me too do are done!! :lol: Like sort out all my hangbags that are under the bed!!
So ill make sure the house is prefect from him on saturday!!
On Sunday we are going to take Winston on a lovely walk and havea day of catching up on Neighbours - :lol: Havent watched any while hes been away!! :lol:
OOO i cant wait!! My house will feel like home again!! :D

G

·
See, you sound more happy and positive already!!

Everything you have planned sounds lovely...... and there's been loads happening on Neighbours!! Won't spoil it for you though!

Have a wonderful weekend and I'm always around if you're lonely and need a chat, feel free to PM me!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ahhh thanks!!
OOOOOOOOOOO did Delcan and Bridget get married? :lol:
I get the sun on a saturday and had a little look!! Shhh dont tell other half!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts