Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By this I mean, is it possible for the operation to affect the integrity of the muscles so after the swelling has gone, they never quite retract back?

I've been fighting the battle of the bulge with Poppy, and although she could do with losing a bit more, I think her waist is getting there (although if folks think I've still got a long way to go, it would be good to hear an objective view :D )

However, she doesn't have much of a tuck up. I remember after her spay, she was quite hard and swollen and it never seemed to go back. It's difficult to see clearly because she's a bit fluffy in that area :lol: , but I just wondered if trying to achieve much more is unlikely?

?

·
0 Posts
Spaying hasn't affected my girls' shapes, but that's not to say it doesn't affect some. It's like after a litter or two, some girls pop straight back to their size 8 jeans :wink: and others are a little saggy forever after.

Does your girl swim much? I find swimming them regularly really tones up my Labs all over. That and getting them running up hills, or on lead brisk trotting for 20 mins a day. I just wish it did the same for me. :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poppy isn't much of a swimmer - she'll go up to her elbows, or stick her head underwater to pick up a stick, but she only swims if she's misjudged the depth :lol:

She does lots of hills, both her lead walk and free run areas are very up and down, and she gets 1.5 to 2 hrs a day, so (although you can't see it on the picture) her legs and rump(?) are well muscled. It's just her tummy that won't shrink - I think we may have to resort to liposuction :lol:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aww, Jack is more than welcome to some of Poppy's excess - she would put on weight just looking at a lettuce leaf - hope Jack plumps up soon :)

?

·
0 Posts
With that amount of exercise, it's probably just her mature shape, which may or maynot have anything to do with her being spayed. They do generally thicken/deepen until they are about 2 years old.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Chewy's 'slappy bit' (our silly name for the bit of her tum with no fur) has been baggy since she was spayed in September. When I asked our old vet about it he didn't give me a proper answer, just said 'we don't do tummy tucks for dogs'. Thank god we left there.

How heavy is Poppy? She looks a similar shape to Chewy, who is now 28kg (we are getting there slowly).

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Poppy is 28 kg too - she's stayed static for 3 months (she's now nearly 18 months old), so although she hasn't lost anything, I'm relieved she hasn't put any more on! I'm feeding according to her desired weight of 25 kg (so 400 - 500g of raw a day), but I might need to cut back even more :roll:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She was spayed at 7.5 months. Knowing what I know now, I would have waited, but at the time Poppy was being a typical boisterous puppy and my husband was really not bonding or coping very well. I was worried that Poppy going into season would be the last straw. As it turns out, she's calmed down into a lovely dog and my husband now thinks she's fab. Next time I'll be more confident and he'll have no choice in the matter :lol: (which is the normal state of affairs!)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Haha put those men in their place. Chewy does love Mike, but she is definitely MY dog (or my shadow should I say)!

Does poppy have a saggy slappy bit?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definitely - when she was first spayed, the area felt quite hard and enlarged, which I put down to swelling. Although now it's soft, she's definitely got a bit of 'baggy boobage' as a friend calls it. She also has long hairs there which curl out, so that doesn't help with the look :lol:

I think Jules's suggestion of swimming might help with toning this area up, but at the moment, I can't get her to go in deep enough :roll:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
You could try a fun hydrotherapy session, Willoughby wasn't keen on swimming till he went to hydro and now I can't keep him out of water. It's really toned him up as well as helping with his ED.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts