Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that it is safe to give dogs "calpol" does anyone know about it and if so any idea about doses

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Kalpol? Arn't they the squeezy things you squirt on a pillow to help kids breathe easier when they have a cold? Or am I way off? :oops:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not sure about Calpol but I give Childrens benelin to Oscar but only if he is coughing REALLY bad.

I was advised that it is ok and my Mother in LAws friend give it yo her dog most of the time.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
calpol contains paracetamol. why do you want to give your dog calpol?

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Paracetamol is not safe for dogs, it is Asprin that has been recommended but only under vet advice, please under no circumstance give you dog any medication containing paracetamol or ibuprofen, it is can be potentialy fatal.

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
An article I have just found

IS IT SAFE TO GIVE HUMAN MEDICINES AND DRUGS TO PETS ?

First broadcast on www.provet.co.uk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Species differences are important

The straightforward answer to this question is NO. You should NEVER give a human drug to your pet animal unless your veterinarian advises you to do so ! Of course most drugs that are prescribed for animals by veterinarians are the same (or similar) drugs that physicians prescribe for human ailments - but there are huge differences in the way that different species species of animal deal with a drug once it is their system. So, some drugs that are safe to use in humans are positively dangerous to give to pets and other animals.

A well known example of this is aspirin, which if given at human dose rates, can easily cause toxicity in both dogs and cats because they cannot detoxify and eliminate it from their bodies as quickly as humans can. The result is a severe gastroenteritis - which may cause them to vomit blood.

There are literally hundreds of examples of human prescription drugs which can cause toxicity to dogs, cats or other pets. Other common medicines and so called social "drugs" which definitely should not be given by owners to their pets are :

Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
The laxative phenolphthalein
Iron supplements
Vitamin D supplements
Nebuliser medications prescribed for asthma
Drugs used to control "fits" e.g. phenytoin (toxic in cats)
Coffee and tea (due to the caffeine content)
Cannabis or any other illegal drug.
All of the above have been documented to cause serious illness - and are potentially fatal . The message is - NEVER assume what is safe for you and your children is safe for your pet - the chances are it isn't

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
As I recall Kalpol is for wind in togglers?, I`m not sure though. My vet did tell me it was ok to give dogs Immodium if they had the runs.

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
Asprin is one of the safer drugs for dogs although just as with humans some dogs cannot take it. The usual dose for a Labrador size dog is one tablet (300mg) no more than every 12 hours.

Paracetamol is more risky and if given should be no more than half a tablet.

NEVER GIVE EITHER TO CATS!!!! They just cannot take it!

As to tea and coffee, don't tell my dogs that or they'll bite you! Obviously you would not give them much but a little will do no harm. Let's face it, both tea and coffee are not good for us either!

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Hmmm Jack on Cannabis though, now there's a funny image in my mind :lol:

Hey Mum, what pretty colours, yeah man, cool I'm so chilled out.......ah I wish :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Its Karvol capsules that is used for blocked noses, they make my eyes water!
Strangely enough, meloxicam (mobic)a non steroidal anti inflammatory is used for dogs arthritis, but human meloxicam and dog meloxicam is not the same, you can't give the human form to dogs.

It would be interesting if homeopathic remedies were more compatible- anyone know?

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Asdra

I do believe that most human homeopathic medicine can be used on animals however as with humans you have to be aware of toxicity levels and the this mean using the correct dosage.

There is a brilliant internet comapny that if you give them symptons/illness they can advise on best remedy.

http://www.ainsworths.com

Can highly recommend them

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Thankyou Nataloie and Jack, - I have bookmarked it, never know when I might need something and I have a useless brain as to where I've seen information- essay references always take me an age to gather together!!!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi there

I must confess that Smudge gets a bowl of tea on Saturday and Sunday mornings as a treat. I make it very weak with milk in and he loves it.

I had never considered giving him any kind of human medication so this has been a very interesting thread.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
many thanks for all your replies. I wanted to know if calpol was safe as many people have told me it is. I thought it would be good to keep in the house incase my dog got a temperature or she is due to be spayed and as a pain relief for her. but I will not get it now

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hi All

I got told by a vet when Oscar had an allergy a few weeks back to keep piriton in the cupboard, for the dogs? So I'm assuming thats ok :?

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Hi Scruff, the vet will send her home with pain killers after her op, she should be fine but if you`re at all worried about her give the vets a call, they don`t seem to feel these things like we do, something to do with survival I think, showing pain makes you vulnerable.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
labshack,

piriton is ok for dogs, it isnt a painkiller though it is an antihistamine i.e. allergy relief, for stings, hayfever etc.

I dont know the correct dosage, but Im sure a call to the vets and they would advise incase you need to use it again.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
:? thanks john, I have the piriton medicine in a bottle.... is 4mg same as a teaspoon full??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts